• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What you reading in these cold days?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Winter is coming.Time for some new books. :hmm:
What are you reading know or are there any interessting new books.
I have just started to read ' A Season of Purpose'
from Gregory J. Geiger a saga of the French & Indian War. :applause:
So it's time to drive to the shooting range.
My beauty wants to make some noise. :haha:
Have a nice weekend
:hatsoff:

Actually I'm reading two books right now. Due to answering a couple of questions on these forums I am rereading the James Smith captivity, Scoouwa, again for the 11 or 12 time and I'm reading Christopher Gist's Journals again.

Regards, Dave

Undertaker,
I have a long list of books which I have picked up, but have not have time to read. So my winter's reading is set. I do like to have read at least once every book I have in my library and here are some that I am reading now and those that will come after that:
Life of Tom Fitzpatrick (Hafen)
five books on shipping and boats in the fur trade (an interesting set for a angle I had not thought of before)
journals of Francis Parkman (not the Oregon Trail book, but the notes from which it came from)
two books on steamships in the western American frontier
Trading in Santa Fe (big thick book of inventory lists and letters on what is selling in the southwest)
Hail Columbia
Columbia Journals (Davis Thompson's journals)
Hasting's Emigrants' Guide to Oregon and California (orignally printed in 1845)
Rivers of Glory
Life of Father De Smet
The Arickara War
and a unusual book for me, "What if" (a set of historians imagine what might have been if history was changed just a little, looks neat!)
Lastly- Powerpoint for Dummies (I have two lectures coming up this winter)
mike.
This might keep me busy. :)

reading...
"The French Roots in The Illinois Country"
by Carl J. Ekberg

and "French Colonial Archaeology"
edited by John A. Walthall

well...you asked...

im reading a book called the interperter.its based in the fnch and indian war in the iroquios confedarcacy and its a good book so far :thumbsup:

What are you reading . . .?

Animal sign. :rotf:

I just picked up "The Americanization of Ben Franklin" by Gordon Wood ($3 at a book sale - how can you loose?) At the same sale I picked up "The Idiot's Guide to World War I" for a couple bucks and, so far, it's pretty insightful, but very fragmented (for short attention spands, I guess).

Earlier in the week I dug out some anthropology books like the Atlas of North Amercan Peoples and am re-reading some of those before I tuck them away again.

My wife bought the complete C.L. Lewis "Narnia" (The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, etc.) set and I'll probably follow along behind her as she goes through them. Never read that as a kid.

I also read about 100 posts a day, here. :rotf:

Right now I'm readin' Tecumseh/A Life by john Sugden.I thought it would be a pretty dry read but it flows pretty good.Won't last through December though.Then again,it'll probably last all winter if I don't get off this forum. :grin:

Just finished Francis Parkman's The Oregon Trail. Started Native American History by Judith Nies yesterday.

I am reading James Fennimore Cooper's "The Pioneer". Have read 3 others of the Leatherstocking tales, got one more to go after this one.

Undertaker: So what do you think of "A Season of Purpose", and how far have you got?

Just finished . It’s a story of woodsman who become a Ranger, a farmer who take up arms and a shoemaker who become a profiteer amidst the backdrop of war. Greg Geiger weaves a compelling plot around two Connecticut families that get caught up in the war. The characters establish homes and families in the Connecticut colony, form a company of “adventurers” to smuggle goods to New France, join up with the local militia, go on scouts with Rogers’ Rangers, and confront the ugly face of war in the battles of Lake George and Fort William Henry. You will be captivated by the personalities of the real historical figures and the Connecticut men and women, as well as the loyal Mohicans who fought at their sides, and the spirited partisans of New France who might have been their friends under different circumstances.
:hatsoff:

Travels through North and South Carolina, Georgia, East and West Florida, The Cherokee Country, The Extensive Territories of the Muscogulges or Creek Confederacy, and the Country of the Chactaws. By William Bartram.

coamm, an intresting subject the plying of American rivers by steamboats. I have one book on the subject but it deals primarly with the Rio Grande River from the 1820's on. River travel is something most folks don't seem to think about until the Civil War era, but river travel was still the fastest way to get out westward until the coming of the rail.

Got a reading list a mile long and keep adding to it but until this computer freezes up for good or the power goes out for a month I'll never get caught up.

Finished Native American History, started George Catlin's Letters & Notes... on North American Indians and The Men Who Wear the Star by Charles M. Robinson.

Hey Coamm, Very interesting list of titles. Where did you find these books?

Kooner,
I get my books in a lot of places. I think I buy about 5 books a month off ebay. I have three or four topics there that I restricted to only books on that subject and it saves me alot of time. Some of the titles I am look for can be hard to get, so I search every month or so and see what comes up. I find that many times, a book I want will be availible with quite a price range, and since most of my books get a lot of use, I go for a used copy that is in good shape and stay away from first editions or leather covers (it just drives up the price and won't give me anymore information from them).
There are two good places you might check out for western history books:
Dumont Maps and Books (Santa Fe) a good map and book store that turns up some very unusual items. Some pricey, but all very interesting!
Trails West in Louisville, Co. Donna puts out a free book list every two to three weeks and she has used books that cover a wide range of history.
Other wise, I search every book store, historic site and National Park in their early west/ western history sections for titles I don't already have. It always amazes me how much is out there, if you know where to look.
If you are interested in one of the titles I mentioned in my list, let me know and I will tell you where I found it.
mike.

The 'Richard Sharpe' series by Cornwell. Fiction roughly centered on Wellington's Peninsular Campaign against Napoleon.

Cornwall's done plenty of other historical stuff...Dark Age..Hundred years War...RevWar,& Civil War...occasional irritating errors,but he does write good battle scenes!
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back