• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What you reading in these cold days?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Skagun --

Being too lazy to go to[url] Amazon.com[/url] and type in the title of the book you mentioned -- who wrote it? Sounds like something I'd like to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
mongrel said:
Skagun --

Being too lazy to go to[url] Amazon.com[/url] and type in the title of the book you mentioned -- who wrote it? Sounds like something I'd like to read.
Hey Mongrel, here's the link: Click here
I almost paid $11.00 at Borders, but waited and found it used on Amazon for $.91 :thumbsup:
It's an easy read, and I like the perspective.
the Author is Richard Hofstadter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a copy of Rifles of Colonial America Vol. I for Christmas and both volumes of Longrifles of Note articles published in Muzzle Blasts 1965 -2001. Should make good reading this winter.

Presently I am reading "At the Crossroads" Indians and Empires on the Mid-Atlantic Frontier.1700-1763 so a fascinating book with interesting insights especially in diplomacy

After watching "Last of the Mohicans" so many times I can almost quoter every scene I am attempting to read the origional by James Fenimore Cooper. The good wife was nice enough to buy me a copy for Christmas. I must say that the old english is a bit rough to read at times. I'm also re-reading "Son's of a Trackless Forest" attempting to aquire new information that I may have missed before.

Earlier I mentioned the book "The Massacre at Fall's Creek" by Jessamine West. I just finished re-reading it and, boy howdy, what a good story. The author took for her inspiration the very sketchy account of an actual event that occurred in southeast Indiana in 1824.
A group of white settlers kills a small band of peaceful natives at their sugaring camp in the early spring of the year. In hopes of preventing the northern tribes rising up in retaliation, the white men are arrested and tried for murder...the first time in America that the killing of an Indian was treated as murder.
The story is well told with believable characters and some good arguments made for both sides.
I highly recommend this one.

Recently I read Farragher's book on the Acadian travesty. Just finished three little books by Bob Bearor: Leading by Example (three vol) about the French and Indian partisans of Canada late 17th -early 18th cent. Currently reading four books. One is about the F&I War--a shortened version of the author's Cruicible Of War, a book on Louisiana French history which is a compendium of articles on various colonial period topics, The rare 4 vol History of Louisiana by Ch. Gayarre (1882 ed), and Flayderman's Bowie Kife book. Most of these are attempts to understand my "new" reenactor personna of early-mid 18th cent French civilian/militiaman in Louisiana. Actually I recently passed the age where a Fr. colonial man would have to serve in the militia (I am now 61).

Hell in Georgia about the 57th Georgia Infantry in the ACW.

undertaker said:
Winter is coming.Time for some new books. :hmm:
What are you reading know or are there any interessting new books.
I have just started to read ' A Season of Purpose'
from Gregory J. Geiger a saga of the French & Indian War. :applause:
So it's time to drive to the shooting range.
My beauty wants to make some noise. :haha:
Have a nice weekend
:hatsoff:

Actually..... I'd have ta say....The Muzzleloading Forum! :grin:
:hatsoff:

WildatHeart said:
1776, but I haven't turned a page yet til the ML season's over.

Season's over, now I can't put it down, a great book, it'd make it a great movie. :thumbsup:

Just finished The Mountain Men, just started Rise to Rebellion, 1776 is in the batters box.

Recently finished 1776. Now am reading Best Little Stories from the American Revolution.

Finished the last of the Leatherstocking tales that were written by James Fenimore Cooper. Have now started reading "White Devil". Into the third chapter and so far it is a good read.

"Some of the Boys... The Civil War Letters of Isaac Jackson" as edited by Joseph O. Jackson.

"A Walk in the Woods" -Bill Bryson.
A contemporary, and very entertaining, Appalachian Trail journal.
~Longshot

1491 New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus, by Mann.
(1491 refers to the year not a value)

A Sniper's Journey. Some things are suspect but if you read it as you would hysterical fiction, it's entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back