• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What would you pay?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry pietta 58 steel sheriff.44 5.5” barrel
I fully agree with Columbus, 300. I don't really think there's a real big diff. between Pietta and Uberti; we're darn lucky there's ANY company making this stuff, let alone two. Good luck! I recently bought a new-in-box older Pietta '58 Rem. and it's beautiful. Got a spare 'special' cylinder for it and all. Was 300 not including the extra cylinder which was a separate purchase.

That a Uberti or Pietta?
Curious I have the same Pietta a little fancier grip; I like the short barrel the boom and smoke. LoL is the sheriffs model a legit configuration? Great BP revolver very happy with mine first BP I purchased that worked fine out of the box. Cleaned it up after first try with some stones. Certainly a keeper.

This was for sure a impulse buy. I do believe I have a sickness when it comes down to revolvers. After some back and forth they settled on 193 out the door. I can live with that, although I’m not sure if the wife can.
I did say I try to avoid impulse buying. It would be a stretch to say I've never been guilty...

I believe you came out well ahead on that one. If you keep it and shoot it, you got a bargain. If you decide to "re-home" the gun, you could probably turn it over for a profit.

Good job!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I am sending the conversion cylinder, .45 LC, back to the importer. Cracked between cylinders. Be VERY careful what smokeless ammo you put in that thing. Never, ever put the stuff meant for Thompsen Center Contender or the Ruger Blackhawk. Even if they replace the other cylinder for nothing, it's going to be black powder only and I have two black powder cylinders. I can preload 12 shots before ever heading to the range.

By the way, you got a smoking good deal in my opinion. Enjoy the heck out of it. #10 percussion caps are as rare as hen's teeth. You can, in a pinch, gently squeeze a #11 cap so it stays on the #10 nipple or you can get replacement nipples at Track of the Wolf and other online suppliers that will allow you to use #11 caps with no problem. Nice looking pistol. Mine's an 1858 Remington by Pietta with an 8" barrel. I like to shoot 25gr. of 777. Makes a nice, accurate load.

Last edited:
I’m on the hunt for #10 caps, have a good amount of #11. Trying to dicker a deal of trading 3 tins of 11 for 10. Will see if it pans out. Hardest thing to get here is actual black powder.

I am sending the conversion cylinder, .45 LC, back to the importer. Cracked between cylinders. Be VERY careful what smokeless ammo you put in that thing. Never, ever put the stuff meant for Thompsen Center Contender or the Ruger Blackhawk. Even if they replace the other cylinder for nothing, it's going to be black powder only and I have two black powder cylinders. I can preload 12 shots before ever heading to the range.

By the way, you got a smoking good deal in my opinion. Enjoy the heck out of it. #10 percussion caps are as rare as hen's teeth. You can, in a pinch, gently squeeze a #11 cap so it stays on the #10 nipple or you can get replacement nipples at Track of the Wolf and other online suppliers that will allow you to use #11 caps with no problem. Nice looking pistol. Mine's an 1858 Remington by Pietta with an 8" barrel. I like to shoot 25gr. of 777. Makes a nice, accurate load.
Even though I will get flamed on this the C.C. really was not ment for smokeless, Do some re-search.

Even though I will get flamed on this the C.C. really was not ment for smokeless, Do some re-search.

Actually, . . . . they were.
Call Walt and do some talking . . . lol!
Call Howell and do some talking . . .

Nuther keyboard genius strikes again!!!

Mike

45d STUFF EM UP AND DO YOUR THING, Glad you appreciate intelligence when you see it. Seems that cly.was not doing to good with it.

Huh?? Haven't seen any but hey . . .

You said you'd probably get some flack and I gave a little and you're surprised?!! Lol !!

( can't quite make out what you mean as far as the cyl not doing to ( too) good with it . . . ) but hey, they most assuredly were made for use with smokeless powder rounds.

Mike

Last edited:
Post #29 three cracked charge holes, I would bet the webs between the charge holes is what cracked, he is lucky the gun did not come apart in his hand,I shoot b.p. conversions and have load data for smokeless why take the chance. Not surprised and not looking for a pissing match just my observations.

Post #29 three cracked charge holes, I would bet the webs between the charge holes is what cracked, he is lucky the gun did not come apart in his hand,I shoot b.p. conversions and have load data for smokeless why take the chance. Not surprised and not looking for a pissing match just my observations.

Ah, you must mean "28" but hey, I understand . . .
The "importer " is what got me . . . Kirst and Howell cyls are made here . . . in the USA so didn't really register with me. If it's a "foreign " cyl . . I don't pay much attention . . .

Mike

My misteak thought the post numbers refrenced the above post. I use the Taylors cly. Also a Remington made for the un-mentiomable. Along with a C.Sharps arms rifle that is marked Black Powder only.

I understand . . . Howell made cylinders for Taylors while they were THE source for the 6 shot conversions.

I shall now go "stuff myself " and go to the shop ( yes I'm still working!!) and do my thing!! Lol
You guys . . . !!!

Mike

Back