• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What would you have done?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit, a few posts make me feel a little bad.
I don't have private land to hunt. I am stuck on state owned or state leased property. Much of which has very poorly marked boundaries, especially the leased properties. Almost every time I find a really good spot with a lot of deer sign and less human traffic, it turns out to be fairly close to a property boundary with private land. Usually talking from 50 to 200 yards. A couple times it turned out I was over the unmarked line, felt bad, quickly removed my treestand and any reflective tacs marking my way in.
That said, the only time I've had an issue with a bordering land owner, I was well off his property, but, caught him off his property on the state lease. That lease is archery only for deer, shotgun allowed for pheasants which are stocked on the power portion (a good 1/4 mile or more away) so hunter orange is required for anything regarding a firearm. He was wandering around the state property with a shotgun in hand and no orange on, walking around well within 50 or 60 yards of my stand. I hailed him and asked him about his lack of orange, he said he was, "just checking thing out."
Never saw any more deer or fresh sign around that stand the rest of the season. Put a stand nearby the next year, and it disappeared.

Sounds like a loose-loose situation. If an attempt at finding a reasonable compromise doesn’t work,send him a picture of your next nice deer shot in your property.

Last edited:
Begin talking to him about God and religion. Invite him to pray with you and such.
He probably won't ever come near you again.
Great answer Pathfinder. "Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do
good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
Our testimony is worth more than a deer.

Great answer Pathfinder. "Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do
good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
Our testimony is worth more than a deer.
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of sending a car full of Jehovas Witnesses to his house for a visit...

Then he puts a shed next to the OP & neither of them can hunt. Now everyone is more angry. That's a brilliant solution!
One could plant a line of fast growing trees and shrubs along that property line, thus blocking that lane and the neighbor's view. A mix of hemlock, Osage orange (the thorns make it an effective traditional barrier), maybe some transplanted beech saplings, nice prickly blue spruce, whatever will grow thick (close together, not necessarily trunk size) and quick, in that area.

For many years I have hunted near my property boundary hedgerow where it connects to an agricultural field. The field either has wheat, or soybeans, or corn, or only grass and next to the agricultural field is a Christmas tree farm the deer use for bedding. So, my watching spot is a prime location. The other side of the field is a thin strip of grass and swale about thirty yard wide that is private land and that also borders mine. About 4 years ago I met the land owner ( at that time ) and obtained permission to hunt our shared boundary.

Two years ago I was watching my boundary line where it meets with the thin strip and after several minutes I noticed a figure in orange heading my way. He approached and asked who I was. I answered and said I had permission from the owner to hunt this area. He informed rather rudely that he was now the owner. I said OK, do you mind if I hunt this corner. He replied "Yes I mind". "You just chased away a deer I was watching".

Now...his elevated blind is 680 yards away on the edge of the Ag field

I said, "Well, OK I'll just watch my side of the boundary" and I turned 180 degrees away from his strip. He said, "Then I'll just watch my side" and continued to stand about ten feet away from me facing the other way. After a few minutes, I decided this stand-off was rather childish, said "Have a nice day" and departed to an alternate location.

This year I have been hunting this general area with bow, crossbow and now rifles. On Wednesday I was sitting in the hedgerow in a location some yards away from the other land owners strip, with my .50 Lancaster across my knees and facing my own land. I hear voice behind me through the hedgerow and turn to see the xxs hole is back again. He says, "You're in my shooting lane." "I might shoot you". Again, his elevated blind is 680 yards away confirmed by my range finder and Google Earth. I was irritated after our first encounter and this time I'm ****** off. I said, "Well, don't shoot this way!" He said, "This is my -deleted- land! I said, "And, this is my -deleted- land and you're the same guy that bothered me two years ago." He said, "You don't even live here." "You're a city guy, I can tell." ( I'm not a city guy but the comment was irrelevant. ) I believe his concern has nothing to do with my safety but rather he is offended by my presence. I said, "Go back to your tower and leave me the hell alone". He matched away, muttering, swearing and calling me unflattering names, 680 long yards back to his stand location.

I have been mulling over whether I should document a harassment complaint. What would you do?
I am sorry you have to deal with an unreasonable person. Before planing an escalation, why not try to de-escalate ? If he lives on the property, maybe bring him a peace offering. You might be pleasantly surprised at his reaction. The price of a good bottle of wine or other such spirits is well worth the cost if it brings peace between neighbors. Humble yourself and apologize for not talking to him before the the hunting season started. Do not mention any of his past unreasonableness and hand him your peace offering. Over the years I have hunted on prime restricted farmland with full permission because of a good bottle of wine or whiskey. If you try this and it does not work, then you can apply the many suggestions you have thus been given.

Does your property run down to his tree stand? If it does just put a shed on your property within 500 feet of his stand. Use the NYS DEC law to your favor. Then he would need your permission to shoot at all.
Thats' not the way it works.
From the DEC Website: Hunting Regulations

Dwelling houses -- a permanent place where people live and sleep. Excluded are temporary residential units including camping trailers, motor homes or other portable shelters. Also excluded are abandoned dwellings, detached garages, tree houses, "playscapes", decks, pool areas, storage sheds and out-buildings - even when/if they are temporarily occupied. A permanent camp or cabin may qualify as a "dwelling house".

Factory or church -- A factory is interpreted to mean any building or structure used for commercial purposes. The discharge of bow within 150 feet, crossbow within 250 feet, or a firearm within 500 feet of a factory or church is prohibited only when such building is occupied at the time of discharge.

Farm building, farm structure that is either occupied or used -- these structures are largely determined on a case-by-case basis. To qualify, the premises alleged to be a farm must be utilized principally for agricultural production for commercial purposes, including but not limited to crops, fruit, hay, livestock, production of dairy products, nurseries/greenhouses. There is no minimum number of acres that must be either owned or farmed to qualify. To receive protection the farm building or farm structure must be either occupied by people or livestock or used in some, even small, degree for storage of farm related tools, equipment or livestock. Excluded would be structures and out-buildings on acreage or lands that are not a "farm" even if they are temporarily occupied.

School building, school playground -- a school building is any building owned by a school district. A school playground is interpreted to mean any area that is maintained by the school including mowed lawns and fields, athletic fields, playgrounds, and/or other areas where students engage in school sponsored activities. Excluded are school parking lots. A maintenance building or bus garage owned by a school district is not a "school building" but would be a "factory" as discussed below.

I believe that outbuildings that don't qualify as dwelling houses, factory, church, farm building or farm structure that is occupied or used, school building or school playground would not fall under the 500' rule (for firearm hunting). So your or your neighbors storage shed that meets the minimum setback from the property line would not qualify for the 500' restriction, but your or your neighbors house or accessory dwelling unit would.

This is so not complicated it defies logic.
Robby

My problem was similar but not the same. We had permission to hunt a neighbor’s property when he died widow extended permission. First day of rifle season her son in law kicked us out. Sucks but we left.
In your case 680 yard away isn’t really an ethical shot. I have hunted in elevated stands with other friends closer than that safely.

We had permission to hunt a neighbor’s property when he died widow extended permission. First day of rifle season her son in law kicked us out. Sucks but we left.

Same happened to me. After hunting small game on a property off and on for 45 years the owner passed away. The widow's SIL took over and kicked me out. Next time i saw the lady we discussed my problem. Lady gave me a permission paper to hunt. She stated that her daughter was soon divorcing the guy, which she did.

For many years I have hunted near my property boundary hedgerow where it connects to an agricultural field. The field either has wheat, or soybeans, or corn, or only grass and next to the agricultural field is a Christmas tree farm the deer use for bedding. So, my watching spot is a prime location. The other side of the field is a thin strip of grass and swale about thirty yard wide that is private land and that also borders mine. About 4 years ago I met the land owner ( at that time ) and obtained permission to hunt our shared boundary.

Two years ago I was watching my boundary line where it meets with the thin strip and after several minutes I noticed a figure in orange heading my way. He approached and asked who I was. I answered and said I had permission from the owner to hunt this area. He informed rather rudely that he was now the owner. I said OK, do you mind if I hunt this corner. He replied "Yes I mind". "You just chased away a deer I was watching".

Now...his elevated blind is 680 yards away on the edge of the Ag field

I said, "Well, OK I'll just watch my side of the boundary" and I turned 180 degrees away from his strip. He said, "Then I'll just watch my side" and continued to stand about ten feet away from me facing the other way. After a few minutes, I decided this stand-off was rather childish, said "Have a nice day" and departed to an alternate location.

This year I have been hunting this general area with bow, crossbow and now rifles. On Wednesday I was sitting in the hedgerow in a location some yards away from the other land owners strip, with my .50 Lancaster across my knees and facing my own land. I hear voice behind me through the hedgerow and turn to see the xxs hole is back again. He says, "You're in my shooting lane." "I might shoot you". Again, his elevated blind is 680 yards away confirmed by my range finder and Google Earth. I was irritated after our first encounter and this time I'm ****** off. I said, "Well, don't shoot this way!" He said, "This is my -deleted- land! I said, "And, this is my -deleted- land and you're the same guy that bothered me two years ago." He said, "You don't even live here." "You're a city guy, I can tell." ( I'm not a city guy but the comment was irrelevant. ) I believe his concern has nothing to do with my safety but rather he is offended by my presence. I said, "Go back to your tower and leave me the hell alone". He matched away, muttering, swearing and calling me unflattering names, 680 long yards back to his stand location.

I have been mulling over whether I should document a harassment complaint. What would you do?
I would watch my back. The jerk has already said he might shoot you 'by accident'. Obviously he is not into hunter safety if he doesn't know where his bullet will end up. Lots of good suggestions made by others.

... What would you do?

I would hunt on my own land, and ignore him.

Don't confront him, don't make a "peace offering", don't knock on his door, don't put up a scare crow with blaze orange sweatshirt, don't trespass or photograph him on his land, etc. Do nothing to escalate the situation.

Review the law to be sure of where you can hunt, so that you are legal.

Then ignore him.

I would hunt on my own land, and ignore him.

Don't confront him, don't make a "peace offering", don't knock on his door, don't put up a scare crow with blaze orange sweatshirt, don't trespass or photograph him on his land, etc. Do nothing to escalate the situation.

Review the law to be sure of where you can hunt, so that you are legal.

Then ignore him.
I can agree with the above with the addition of documenting the episodes with the authorities for potential future reference. Its awfully temping to post the orange dummy however. If I read this guy correctly he might be the sort to shoot the dummy once he realized what it was. If I get that on video the problem will be solved for a long time.

The guy is likely rowing with one oar and a ping pong paddle. Avoid him and his property. Do not tolerate him on your ground but let local law enforcement deal with any trespass. Document with photos.

Be safe.

Elevating a confrontation with an idiot with a gun is never a wise choice of actions. Check with the law or your lawyer and avoid anything that might be in his line of fire. Sorry, but it sounds like you have a difficult situation there.

Back