• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What would you have done?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A Hawk

Cannon
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
For many years I have hunted near my property boundary hedgerow where it connects to an agricultural field. The field either has wheat, or soybeans, or corn, or only grass and next to the agricultural field is a Christmas tree farm the deer use for bedding. So, my watching spot is a prime location. The other side of the field is a thin strip of grass and swale about thirty yard wide that is private land and that also borders mine. About 4 years ago I met the land owner ( at that time ) and obtained permission to hunt our shared boundary.

Two years ago I was watching my boundary line where it meets with the thin strip and after several minutes I noticed a figure in orange heading my way. He approached and asked who I was. I answered and said I had permission from the owner to hunt this area. He informed rather rudely that he was now the owner. I said OK, do you mind if I hunt this corner. He replied "Yes I mind". "You just chased away a deer I was watching".

Now...his elevated blind is 680 yards away on the edge of the Ag field

I said, "Well, OK I'll just watch my side of the boundary" and I turned 180 degrees away from his strip. He said, "Then I'll just watch my side" and continued to stand about ten feet away from me facing the other way. After a few minutes, I decided this stand-off was rather childish, said "Have a nice day" and departed to an alternate location.

This year I have been hunting this general area with bow, crossbow and now rifles. On Wednesday I was sitting in the hedgerow in a location some yards away from the other land owners strip, with my .50 Lancaster across my knees and facing my own land. I hear voice behind me through the hedgerow and turn to see the xxs hole is back again. He says, "You're in my shooting lane." "I might shoot you". Again, his elevated blind is 680 yards away confirmed by my range finder and Google Earth. I was irritated after our first encounter and this time I'm ****** off. I said, "Well, don't shoot this way!" He said, "This is my -deleted- land! I said, "And, this is my -deleted- land and you're the same guy that bothered me two years ago." He said, "You don't even live here." "You're a city guy, I can tell." ( I'm not a city guy but the comment was irrelevant. ) I believe his concern has nothing to do with my safety but rather he is offended by my presence. I said, "Go back to your tower and leave me the hell alone". He matched away, muttering, swearing and calling me unflattering names, 680 long yards back to his stand location.

I have been mulling over whether I should document a harassment complaint. What would you do?

Ignore him. As Mark Twain said, "Never argue with an idiot. He will wear you down with experience & win in the end." Ignoring him will drive him nuts & he will eventually give up his "mission". Always remember it's only a deer & not worth getting upset or angry over. Let him suffer. Getting in some kind of contest or "boundary war" with him will only make you look as petty as he is.

Always document as if you are building a case.
Notify police AND fish and game officer in your area.
Make sure THEY document your complaint on paper and log it as a contact. Who what where when how and why
This creates a running litany of problems with this guy. Builds your credibility.
When SHTF you are on the record, he will be swinging in the wind.
Law enforcement lives for record keeping. It shows you are doing the right thing.
Plus they'll probably say " oh yea, we've dealt with this guy before.

At the first encounter I would have smiled and said something like, well I didn't realize the property had changed hands, hi, my name is.........., while putting my hand out as a sign of good fellowship. If after that, issues and things couldn't be discussed amicably like two mature adults, well, then nothing will make a whole lot of good sense anyway.
Robby

At the first encounter I would have smiled and said something like, well I didn't realize the property had changed hands, hi, my name is.........., while putting my hand out as a sign of good fellowship. If after that, issues and things couldn't be discussed amicably like two mature adults, well, then nothing will make a whole lot of good sense anyway.
Robby
Had the gentleman approached in a neutral manner that would been the appropriate response. However malice and territorial aggression were apparent from initial contact.

Shooting lane or not his bullets should never leave the bounds of his property, so drop a dime to the DNR about his unsafe practices. Unfortunately there's a lot more horse's asses out there than there are horses. After bagging my I'd deer start doing a lot of target practice near by. Then again maybe I would just forget deer and just start shooting a lot. I too can be a superb horse's ass when need be :thumb: YMMV

Tell him to get his ass back to California where he belongs. Put up a fake mannequin dressed in orange with a fake rifle pointed at his stand. When you see a big buck walking on his land, set off a M-80 firecracker. Or you can just show him that some people are nice to their neighbors no matter how mean they are and bring him a coffee cake.

Don’t antagonize that turd. Just keep doing what you want on your property and ignore him. He’ll lose interest pretty quick. Report it law enforcement, sure, but escalating the situation will just make it worse. Knowing that you don’t care what he thinks will most likely bother him more than anything else you could do anyway.

Just do your thing and know where the property lines are. Even might mark the lines so you can show it easily if he brings someone to support his claims of where the lines are. Had an issue with a neighbor in our subdivision who came on my property to cut down trees and when he complained about me with local badge support i showed the badge the property line markers. He turned to the complainer and said you and i have something to discuss, turned to me and said sorry for the inconvience sir.

Don't rile this guy up any more. If he wants to sit back to back with you lite up a good cigar (especially if he's down wind) and have a nice chat with him. Make sure you record any disturbance with him and have it ready to show some officials if need be. Just make sure the property lines are correct and DON'T trust the county GIS maps on the computer. They showed incorrect boundary lines at my property and I had it surveyed and corrected at the county GIS.

Wait on him, take pics of the incident With your cell phone or better a video, make sure he comes too you on your property, record the exchange, then immediatly call the D.N.R. AND HAVE THE IDIOT ARRESTED, YOU DID SAY HE THREATEN TOO SHOOT YOU RIGHT. PRESS CHARGES FOR TRESPASSING AND TERRORISTIC THREATS. Or wait till he goes somewhere one day and saw the ba@@@@s tree stand down.

Wait on him, take pics of the incident With your cell phone or better a video, make sure he comes too you on your property, record the exchange, then immediatly call the D.N.R. AND HAVE THE IDIOT ARRESTED, YOU DID SAY HE THREATEN TOO SHOOT YOU RIGHT. PRESS CHARGES FOR TRESPASSING AND TERRORISTIC THREATS. Or wait till he goes somewhere one day and saw the ba@@@@s tree stand down.
Careful, he may have cameras as well.....

Back