• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What would you choose?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's the scenario.....
You are living in the either the Mountains or The Deep woods... You can have only 1 BP handgun, and only 1 BP long gun....that you currently own! You have plenty of powder, percussion caps or flints, projectiles, and wads/patches. Let's hear your choices..

Me: My .54cal. T/C Renegade and my Uberti 1860 Army with smoothed action and Slix Shot nipples. The .54cal. is a powerhouse capable of killing anything in North America (with the right hit and projectile), and the 1860 Army is adequate for pests/predators with 2 legs at closer range.

would have to be the .58 1863 Remington. its got a very worn bore but shoots roundball and minnie effectively out past 100 yds. the worn bore allows it to shoot shot ok at ranges under 30 yds.
there is not a huge amount of small game up here in the north- traps, snares would be effective there. it`s the bigger stuff that wants you for dinner to be concerned with.
.and either the ROA or the 1860 Army. thats a tough one

The only BP handgun I have is an 1858 army model, so that one's easy. I'm torn between my .50 Isaac Haines and a 24 gauge/.58 Twigg fowler for the long gun. Since we're only allowed to choose one and if it was about subsistence, I guess I'd go with the fowler since I could shoot roundball or fine shot from it.

I think I'd have to have a .50 cal. Hawken and a .62 ca. smoothbore pistol. The Hawken would work just fine to hunt most anything I needed and the .62 smoothbore would work good on things like squirrels and smaller critters with shot, as well as offer you the ability to use a big roundball as well if needed.

'That I currently own'? My 54cal New Englander for the long gun & I guess I could cut my "Franken-Bubba" carbine down to make a 50cal 'handgun' since I don't currently have one.

Back