• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What would this rifle be called?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I have seen some eastern rifles in the late percussion period with enough decoration that the pictured Sharon Hawken in the original post would be considered quite tasteful. Still is a bit much for this plain old Swiss.

I agree that steaming them first will close them up a bunch. Do that first before you go the filler route. Then you can keep your beard.

Well now didn't a lot of old timers back in the day add some of this stuff to personalize their guns
at rendezvous. Heck they used to trade that stuff.
I can see having a row of of tack heads sticking up on both sides of the forearm you could feel and
always have the same hand placement and grip.

View attachment 59825
Bought this used a few years ago at a gun show. Seller didn't know much about it. Some people tell me it's a Hawkin, some a Lehmen, still others call it a trade rifle. it is .62 caliber, has a Sharon barrel, 1-72 twist, L&R lock and trigger. Steel furniture. Barrel is 34"and coned. Does anyone know what is it? Thanks, Stu
I like the look and shape of that rifle. I see no reason not to add mother of pearl inlays to balance out the embelishment. I'd like to see the other side of it. .62, man that's a real whopper!

In a private European collection, there is an original hand gonne dated to 1470's. Incredibly, it still retained about 2/3rds of it's original wood stock. The simple, square pole stock (the proper name escapes me at the moment) had simple punch mark decoration for most of it's length. What I found interesting was that people attempted to decorate their gun stocks even this far back. I thought I saved a photo of this, but can't locate it in my library. I'll try to locate it from another source and post it here.

Rick

If the tacks are removed, the holes can be filled with a little sawdust made from a hole drilled into the buttstock, taken from under the butt plate, with a two-part epoxy.

The method would be to remove the tacks and apply a paste wax (Johnson's come to mind) to the stock wood, being careful to not get any wax into the holes - do not buff the wax yet.

Mix the epoxy with stock sawdust to help with making the repair invisible, and with the tip of wooden toothpick, place a small drop of the epoxy mix into each hole, wiping the top of the hole lightly with a clean portion of a rag for each hole. Try to be careful not to wipe the stock beyond the hole(s).

Polish the wax off the stock after the epoxy has cured.
All good, but I would suggest usung sander dust rather than sawdust; it makes a paste which you can more easily work into the holes. I use 5 minute epoxy with enough dust to make it almost dry.=; work a small amount down into each hole using a small spatula or knife tip, and leave it flush with the surface. A light sanding, a dab of finish, and done.

In a private European collection, there is an original hand gonne dated to 1470's. Incredibly, it still retained about 2/3rds of it's original wood stock. The simple, square pole stock (the proper name escapes me at the moment) had simple punch mark decoration for most of it's length. What I found interesting was that people attempted to decorate their gun stocks even this far back. I thought I saved a photo of this, but can't locate it in my library. I'll try to locate it from another source and post it here.

Rick
Tiller is the proper name.

What would you think about filling the holes with round toothpicks and either staining them to match or leave them natural as an accent?

The ends of the tooth picks are end grain and will show a very much different color than the wood. Very difficult to stain them to match the wood in the stock as the tooth picks are a different species of wood.

Add more ornaments or remove the tacks and cover the holes with inlays. Most of us have more than one rifle. Why, a man just aint completed lesen he has at least one real gussied up smokepole! Sorry, I been watching to dern many old westerns with Gabby Hayes in um........
George_Gabby_Hayes_1953.jpg

I've seen few rifles that had tacks removed. They all looked like a rifle that had the tacks removed. Better to add more or leave it alone. Looks nice now.

Latest posts

Back