• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What would the most common original muzzleloading rifle be

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only considering civilian firearms, I will say this:

In general;

Smooth bore trade guns were popular and common throughout your whole time frame of 1775 all the way up to 1870. Of course ignition type and stock styles changed through the years.

Rifles were mostly plain affairs with wooden patchbox covers in the early years of your time frame, but they got fancier with more elaborate brass patchboxes as they evolved into "The Golden Age" of the long rifle. Except in the south where rifles remained mostly plain affairs.
Calibers became generally smaller after the American Revolution because the big game was shot out of the east, and became scarce. However, as the population pressed on to the west caliber again increased due to the big game that was once again encountered. Of course smaller calibers continued as the norm in the east during the first half of the 1800's.
There were many differences in style (known as "schools") from all the various gunmaking regions. Quite a few different "schools" developed right there in Pennsylvania.

Although the percussion ignition was invented sometime earlier, it didn't really get going until the 1830's. In the east and midwest half stock percussion rifles with small calibers developed, while in the west heavy, large caliber rifles such as the famous Hawken became popular.

Near the very end of your time period there were breech loaders such as the Sharps, Remington, and even the "yellow boy" which was the Winchester 66 lever action. It had a brass receiver, hence the designation "yellow boy".

There are numerous choices for a modern made reproduction. You just have to narrow down the time period and do plenty of research.

Most common? I would have to say a British Brown Bess for flintlock. They were produced in different variants for a very long time, and used around the globe. Many still survive. Percussion? My guess would be a variant of the 1861 -63 Springfield, as used during the American Civil War with supposedly between 700,000 and a million manufactured. I suppose to take into account the French 1777 Musket, which prevailed in variants into the 1800s, millions were manufactured.

Only considering civilian firearms, I will say this:

In general;

Smooth bore trade guns were popular and common throughout your whole time frame of 1775 all the way up to 1870. Of course ignition type and stock styles changed through the years.

Rifles were mostly plain affairs with wooden patchbox covers in the early years of your time frame, but they got fancier with more elaborate brass patchboxes as they evolved into "The Golden Age" of the long rifle. Except in the south where rifles remained mostly plain affairs.
Calibers became generally smaller after the American Revolution because the big game was shot out of the east, and became scarce. However, as the population pressed on to the west caliber again increased due to the big game that was once again encountered. Of course smaller calibers continued as the norm in the east during the first half of the 1800's.
There were many differences in style (known as "schools") from all the various gunmaking regions. Quite a few different "schools" developed right there in Pennsylvania.

Although the percussion ignition was invented sometime earlier, it didn't really get going until the 1830's. In the east and midwest half stock percussion rifles with small calibers developed, while in the west heavy, large caliber rifles such as the famous Hawken became popular.

Near the very end of your time period there were breech loaders such as the Sharps, Remington, and even the "yellow boy" which was the Winchester 66 lever action. It had a brass receiver, hence the designation "yellow boy".

There are numerous choices for a modern made reproduction. You just have to narrow down the time period and do plenty of research.
That was the finest response I could have asked for thank you

Hi,
Moderate quality English fowlers, not trade guns. Ketland alone exported more than 7,000 to the US during the last 3 years of the 18th century. For most of the time period Brown Besses would not be in civilian hands rather placed in government stores and issued from there. Much would depend on where you were located. Remember, trade guns were for trade with Indians and others on the frontiers. Most Americans did not live on the frontiers, they lived on family farms in settled areas or in the growing cities and towns. During the percussion era prior to the Civil War, again, imported sporting guns and shotguns from Liege and Birmingham were very common and sold by the thousands in hardware stores. Often they were stamped with the American retailer's name.

dave

At one time, I was able to buy original long guns in various states of disrepair for under $100. In fact I had five or six originals. One shooteable, as purchased, that I paid $150.00 for at a flea market. The bore was hand cut, it had been converted to percussion and had a plain Roman Nose stock. chuck Dixon seemed to think it was a Lehigh County rifle that had been shortened, and freshened a few times. The only markings were some stars stamped in a diamond shape on the top barrel flat. Those purchases were made back around 1980. I would buy double barrel muzzle loading shot guns for 30 to 50 bucks fix some and strip other's for parts. Some I sold for over the mantle.

Depends on where you lived and when you lived. First hand accounts say the tribes in Ohio preferred rifle guns by the F&I war. Does that mean that the majority of firearms were rifles. Probably not but they would get a rifle over a fusil if possible. Most of the Draper accounts about Kentucky settlers the last quarter of the 18th century show them carrying rifles. But someone living on the coast or along the Hudson river more often they were using fusils for water fowl hunting. If you lived in the south and especially the southern mountains in the 19th century you would more than likely be carrying a rifle. Most of the rifles and fusils carried were probably on the plainer side. Many rifles probably didn't have a patch box or carving. These guns would have been used hard and few would have survived and we don't see many today. But there is an account of one guy having a rifle with brass mountings with a patch box and he kept the brass polished bright all the time. This account is in the Draper papers also and must have been "odd" for it to have been described. I just read an autobiography about George Bent and he was telling a story about Delaware trappers attacking some Cheyenne. He tells how the Delaware always carried "fine rifles". Now what does that mean? They could have been just plain old trade rifles produced in the east by Derringer or Henry. Because Bent states that the Cheyenne had cheap trade guns and bows. It's really hard to get an idea of what a rifle would look like when we don't know what the author considers a "fine rifle". I have probably confused everyone that reads this but the old accounts can be just as confusing. But I believe that the most "common" gun would depend on where you lived and the time you lived.

At one time, I was able to buy original long guns in various states of disrepair for under $100. In fact I had five or six originals. One shooteable, as purchased, that I paid $150.00 for at a flea market. The bore was hand cut, it had been converted to percussion and had a plain Roman Nose stock. chuck Dixon seemed to think it was a Lehigh County rifle that had been shortened, and freshened a few times. The only markings were some stars stamped in a diamond shape on the top barrel flat. Those purchases were made back around 1980. I would buy double barrel muzzle loading shot guns for 30 to 50 bucks fix some and strip other's for parts. Some I sold for over the mantle.
Ditto ! Your showing your age 😂
Relic shooter, now I'm a relic :(

Back