• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What would be a correct barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What would be a correct barrel profile for a 1600's English snaphaunce musket a la The Rifle Shoppe's # 579? TRS's barrel for it is described as 46" octagon to round in .77 caliber. I will order one from them if they can swear to me that there is one setting on the shelf as we speak and they can mail it to me that day. I was not at all surprised at the 7 months it took to get the lock kit, but I'm just not willing to wait another indefinite number of months or years to get a barrel if I can find one somewhere else. Buckeye Barrel has a Rayl New England fowler barrel 46" oct to round swamped in 10, 11, or 12 guage. Would a swamped or straight taper profile (or both) be typical of a 17th century musket?

Dave:

My Snaphaunce Musket has a .72 smoothbore barrel. I'm not certain of the barrel maker since Leonard Day built her for me.

The barrels you mentioned should be fine for your Snaphaunce.

Olga1.jpg
Olga2.jpg

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Thanks, Teleoceras. Maybe you could answer another question for me about the fishtail stocks. They always seem to be illustrated only in side view. It appears to me that there is no narrowing of the wrist; that the widest part of the butt,at least a strip of the wrist, and the lock area all are part of a continuous plane. Is this the case? And if so, is the widest part of the butt the same width as the wrist and lock area, or does the butt flare wider toward the back?

I don't mean to steal the thread but I have a
question about PC. on these types...I have two
48" X 1" X 62cal. I have a hard time holding
one up as a gonne..How off would it be if i were
to cut one down to,,,say 38"..could that pass as
OK for a snaphaunce???

Back