what was your worst rendezvous?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Yep...that's why I don't rondy. I was ready to buy the equipment and get started till ridicule happened. Stopped immediately. I prefer shooting more than camping anyway.
Don't want the ridicule.
When I do camp ( which is seldom, )
I camp with well known friends that doesn't care how you're dressed.
I get a kick out of your vids. Your doing the most important thing you can with a ml, having fun.
Your historic vids have been cheesy and not hc, but better then 90% Hollywood
And put a smile on my face

Johnny Tremain

Silversmith in training
Reaction score
First tie we went to Flying M Rondy west of Portland OR.
It rained from the first day, until the last. Learned to put my tricorn on backwards to avoid watering the pan.
Got the dry socks award, only one out of 350 folks. Thank you Arrow Moch Co.
The boys tent floated away. Told them not to set up in the hollow.
A lady from a national magazine took my picture, said I looked like I was from back then.

Yup was the worse one we ever went to.

Reaction score
There is plenty the other way wherein crusty old farts go on and hate on authenticity or those trying to be better. It's better to try and help those with Auth problems, rather than bashing them. Of course, there are those who don't want it and don't care if their stuff is wrong and they ruin the event for others.
How does it ruin it for others if some one is not perfectly HC etc? Don't you do it for yourself, or is it all about bragging rights? Just curious?

Reaction score
I was a Boy Scout, then a Marine Officer (Nam 72-73). I spent enough time in tents, hovels, hooches and poor accommodations for a life time. While I appreciate wanting to see what it was like living in the past. I do not believe you have to be 110% HC, like some who think the thread count in your shirt will make a difference. Guess what, it doesn't. Spending days in mud, rain, poor sanitation etc and saying it is fun, makes me think you probably need professional help?(IMHO) But, I am sure some like it. Many of the posts I am reading make it sound like a badge of honor, just to have survived the worst weather, food, & accommodations at a rendezvous? I would probably call it something else! Just one mans opinion. We need more people in ML/BP, the sport is dying before our eyes! and being a perfectionist HC martinet is not going to do it. again, IMHO.

Last edited:

sturmkatze

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How does it ruin it for others if some one is not perfectly HC etc? Don't you do it for yourself, or is it all about bragging rights? Just curious?
Because many of us go out there for the time trip. I rarely do public crap. I don't really like 'Ronz (tourist morons) ... We have to do Roman that way as we have no celts to fight against.

Most reenacting are not "stand and preen" events. You do know that there are way more periods than Rev War and Silly War and going to Rendezvous... Right? Ww2, ww1, even Vietnam are also done. Trekkers don't usually do public stuff.

Anyway, again, it rui s the "time trip" for others.

Reaction score
Because many of us go out there for the time trip. I rarely do public crap. I don't really like 'Ronz (tourist morons) ... We have to do Roman that way as we have no celts to fight against.

Most reenacting are not "stand and preen" events. You do know that there are way more periods than Rev War and Silly War and going to Rendezvous... Right? Ww2, ww1, even Vietnam are also done. Trekkers don't usually do public stuff.

Anyway, again, it rui s the "time trip" for others.
Ok, i get it, Yes, I actually did, Civil War for a few years and F&I, because i was more familiar with them living in the PA area at the time. Lots of history for both in that area. There was one WWII event I went to and was surprised at how accurate it was. Work demands put an end to most of that stuff for me. The F & I, I liked better than the Civil War stuff. Lots of marching about in formation, standing in formations in the sun, etc, not a lot of fun to me.I make a better general than i do private! The F&I was more woodsy, more shooting, more interesting over all, less politics. None of the North South bull sh$%@* ! People, (characters) were more down to earth, everyday types, from homesteader/farmer, to Long hunters, guides or a Rogers Rangers type. Did not have many people who wanted to be British! One reason was it was expensive to get kitted out properly as a British Soldier etc. So, it was what it was. Not perfectly HC in every detail but people had fun working on it and discussing it.

Last edited:

sturmkatze

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I did ww2 for about 15+ years and ww1 for 31. I too live in PA. Our wwi battlefield is in Newville and I live close, in Shippensburg. I retired from wwi last year. 2 friends passed and it just isn't the same. Actually a lot of Reenacting is that way. When your friends go, it's just less fun. Anyway, there ain't no 58 year old ncos in those wars... It just ain't right. My opinion, not telling others what to do.

I've been flitting about the edges of revvy war for 30 years. Don't know if I'll ever do it. Right now, I'm down to just 1st century roman.

Did I read that you said that you lived in gettysburg?

Reaction score
I did ww2 for about 15+ years and ww1 for 31. I too live in PA. Our wwi battlefield is in Newville and I live close, in Shippensburg. I retired from wwi last year. 2 friends passed and it just isn't the same. Actually a lot of Reenacting is that way. When your friends go, it's just less fun. Anyway, there ain't no 58 year old ncos in those wars... It just ain't right. My opinion, not telling others what to do.

I've been flitting about the edges of revvy war for 30 years. Don't know if I'll ever do it. Right now, I'm down to just 1st century roman.

Did I read that you said that you lived in gettysburg?
I understand when your friends go, some of the excitement goes with it. I have had similar problems. I do not live in Gettysburg, but have been there many times. I was born & raised in Springfield ,Delco. My grandparents lived in Bradford, PA, and my brother lives in Oxford ,PA, Lancaster Cnty. So I am familiar with PA vey much. I also went to West Chester State College(before it was a University!), so i am familiar with Shippensburg too.!

Reaction score
I have never participated in a rondy. My club has one every year and I do some of the shooting events but go home at night. I camp out with friends a couple of times a year but I'm uncomfortable camping around those I don't know. I do get along with the participants during the day. Just one of my foibles I guess.

sportster73hp

40 Cal
Reaction score
Don’t know if this counts but thread has turned to clothing sooo.
Buddy and i went to a rondevous as a day trip to shoot. Someone questioned his jeans and t-shirt saying it wasn’t hc. His response “ sure it is , my gun was designed in the 1970’s and this is what they wore!”

Reaction score
I get a kick out of your vids. Your doing the most important thing you can with a ml, having fun.
Your historic vids have been cheesy and not hc, but better then 90% Hollywood
And put a smile on my face
Aaaah, thanks my friend. The video projects is what keeps me going.
Going to Tennessee next weekend to film another fun project.
I can't wait.

Bushfire

🇦🇺 Australia
Reaction score
Aaaah, thanks my friend. The video projects is what keeps me going.
Going to Tennessee next weekend to film another fun project.
I can't wait.
There are three channels I hang out for duelist den, Cap and ball, and BPMS.

Not that I've tried it, but seeing the fun you had shooting skewers out of your smoothbore convinced me to buy one. Glad I did because now i love them!

Keep up the flintlock videos!

TexiKan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
We laugh about them, after the fact. I can't recall the year, but it was about 15-20 years ago at Florence, KS when a group of us day tripped to one on a rainy, cloudy day. Once there, the rain continued and the camp was beginning to flood. We were on higher ground with another club member but it was obvious the creek was rising around the camps. Later that afternoon, there was a break in the weather and the woods walk shooting began. A couple of us joined a small group and started shooting. Unfortunately, one fellow brought along a young son who had never shot before and was reluctant to do so. This delayed our group from moving on to the next target. About midway through, the rain started again and most folks stopped shooting and returned to their camps. I had only about four more shots left to complete the event and two of us continued in the rain. fortunately my rifle continue to go off without issues.
Back at camp, I did my best to dry off the rifle and our group was warned of flooding and stuck vehicles and we made the decision to leave. Our van was stuck and we had to push and rock it. One member was splattered with mud and fell down in it. We dared not laugh! We could only image what the camps were going through. As we headed home, parts of the Turnpike washed out. At home, the finish on my rifle was ruined and I removed it and used a more durable stock finish. Yeah, we laugh about that day, now, but not then!

Jim O'Meara

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hhhmmmm? Bad one / Worst one.....I'm going to have to say I've never had a negative vous, I have had some particularly poor thing happen at a few but the event itself was and still is today a joy to attend. From east to west and north to south the Rondy trend has changed steady for years now. Back in the Dad and Bear days the period correct and historical factors were all part of the magic. They built their guns, made their clothes, and researched how to do it. As vets of nasty conflicts I suspect that this was a mind release. I suspect finding like minded veteran's of war and good people at simple places that were majestic, natural, and not as restrictive as the concrete jungles was as therapeutic as most any doctor may provide. As a kid growing up through this I can say that there were ass hats and camp rays at even the early ones. To this day I don't recall a "BAD" rondesvous. We lost folks at camp which was terrible and we gained folks which was amazing. I have had the heat the rain the bugs the animals the hangovers the did I really leave the food box at home and of course there was the almighty Bents Fort winter vous so cold we had to drill holes to get lodge stakes into the ground, but none were bad. I hold the camp staff accountable for making the event 😉 I your rondy family don't want to see a kid with sneakers and a blanky capote then plan accordingly and spell that out ( keep in mind that if you handle that one well they may some day be a booshway of a fine doins) we have done a poor job of maintaining the interest by being narrow minded and stubborn. I'm not apposed to inline shooters and flinters next to each other at a shoot. I am however apposed either of them thinking one is better than the other. Plan and promote accordingly:)
Fireball

Reaction score
Most BP events I was in were part of reenactment camping, though a few small rendezvous were fun experiences aloo. Never had a bad one except for a few horrible hangovers in the morning.
A most infamous one was when I was about 20 years old. It was around Culpepper. Maybe 30 folks in all. IIt was my first experience having White Lightning ( home made moonshine). I don’t remember a whole lot of that night except that I must have gone into the woods late that night to water the trees. I was a bit tipsy I would say. I got completely lost and a few guys had to find me and carry me back to camp, so I was told. Later the next morning the folks were smiling and chuckling at the pilgrim with the new name: “Pathfinder” 😒
I’m much more responsible now 😇

Latest posts