• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What was your first Muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mid 50s [no... not 1850s]. Bought a piece of imported JUNK that any 12 year old could have built in shop. Shot it a few times and gave it to a friend for over his fireplace. Good riddance! Polecat

First muzzleloader? It was a International Arms, "Kentuckian" flintlock in .44 caliber. It was made in Italy.
When I bought it back in 1970, it was the only low cost rifle that looked to be well made besides a T.C. Hawken and I couldn't afford one of those.
At the same time that I bought the Kentuckian, I also bought a steel frame Colt 1851 in .44 caliber. (Yes, I know that combination was never made by Colt).
When I mentioned my newly bought guns to a friend at work he said, "Hey! I've got a pound of black powder I don't have a use for. I'll bring it in for you." and, he did. It turned out to be a old can of DuPont 3Fg and it got me off and running in my newly discovered hobby. :)
My first wife [deceased] had a Kentuckian. Sweet gun. Polecat

I was given a custom Kentucky style flint rifle, .44 cal. I was 8 years old, my dad got me powder and supplies and the Lyman black powder book, got hooked , then the bi centennial came and there was no going back, shot my first deer with it when I was 9.

Seems a lot of us started the hobby real young. Not me especially but I started shooting at a real young age. Young kids don't grow up as we did and don't do the fun things that we did I don't think. Too many modern day distractions and crummy kids programming.
I get that as well…lots of grey beards in here…

T.C. Hawken , .50 cal ,kit ! Wife got it for me after i made a comment about shooting my "06" across a canyon to kill a deer as kinda un-sporting ! Some gun-shop dealer told her this would up the competition !! He was right , and i still have and hunt with that .50 ! LUV IT !!

Bought a raffle ticket that had guns for prizes. Looked the list over and a 54 Hawken was listed, really the only gun I was interested in. Your number had to match the daily 3 numbers drawn in NYS. Sure enough, my number got drawn for that gun. But when I went to pick it up, was given a 50 cal., 25th Anniversary TC Hawken, Sweet! Found a BP Club near me and the rest is history. Won a gun, but found a lifelong hobby.

Back