• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What was your first Muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopkins & Allen "boot" pistol kit that I bought from a small local archery shop. I cold blued the hammer, trigger, and one or two other small parts on mine, but left the barrel in the white and didn't stain the wood grip, just oiled it. It looked very much like this one I found online. Ramrod was an oiled length of 3/8" dowel from the hardware store. We've long since parted ways, but it was fun to shoot and kinda wish I'd kept it. You know how that goes.

iu

CVA Kentucky Long Rifle and Pistol (Jukar?), both were .45 cal percussion guns. Got them both at the same time. 1977 or 78. My dad helped a fella out and in turn we picked them up. I had known about ML's for a while just never had the opportunity to obtain one until then.

RM

Mine was a kit Remington .44 Army C&B. I had moved to Indiana to start a business. My wife stayed behind to sell the house and get things ready to move. I was in this 100 year old farmhouse alone, no tv and many decades before computers, internet, etc. I had visited a shoot at Friendship and picked up a Dixie Gun Works catalog. The kit was ordered from that. I had never worked on this kind of gun before but managed to get it together on the kitchen table. Not sure if I ever shot it.

TC Renegade kit that I put together 40yrs ago and still have, but changed the barrel to a GM LRH 30yrs ago. Paid $110 for the kit.

I'm curious to know what was your first BlackPowder firearm? Was it a rifle or a smoothbore?

What made you want to buy it?

How experienced/knowledgeable with this sport/hobby were you, when you bought your first BlackPowder gun?
First was a Hopkins & Allen underhammer pistol; was unsophisticated for sure, in high school. Ordered an H&A rifle, but it got hung up on shipping because they included 1/4 lb. of black powder, and it got stuck in transit somewhere. Did get my money back, was a lot at the time for a kid, about 40 bucks or so. This was about 1963.

Mine was a .50 caliber T/C High Plains Sporter that i got from Cabela's along with all the stuff I would need to shoot a patched round ball. I got it so I could get another deer season in. It got hooked using that gun and now shoot black powder guns almost exclusively. I have whittled down my suppository guns to a few basics.

My first was actually a 51 Navy revolver. Bought it because it was cheap and I wasn't really old enough to buy a modern pistol. My first rifle was a CVA Kentucky 45. Bought it to get the ML hunting advantage. Got hooked after that, still have the gun but I later converted it to flintlock. Pistol was 40 years ago and got the rifle 30 years ago.

I had only been shooting firearms in general for a couple of years. This crazy guy kept popping up on YouTube, some kind of maniacal shooter from Kentucky... I kept passing the videos by, until one day I didn't. He just made it look so fun and easy (ebven the cleaning,) I just had to try. So I found a CVA Frontier Carbine. I figured at less that $175 I could afford it if I didn't like it. Did a lot of reading, researched and got supplies, then had a BP shooter at my club with me my first time to be sure I did things right. Well, I was instantly hooked (must be something in the smoke!) That was 2 years ago.

Back