• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What was your first Muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first was built from plans I saw in (I believe) Mechanix Illustrated magazine back in 1963 or 1964. Dad would never have permitted me, at 14, to buy a rifle and I had little money anyway. When I read the accompanying article it included sources for parts, specifically a 2-groove 1903-A3 Springfield barrel that could be had for the princely sum of $3.95! My paper-route money could stand that cost.

A lock was available from Dixie Gun Works for $8.95, and the trigger and trigger-guard probably $2.95. The breechplug was a grade 5 machine bolt; the drum and nipple were fabricated out of stuff I scrounged from Dad's little shop. A neighbor gave me a chunk of Philippine mahogany which I butchered for the stock, and the buttplate came from a junk WWII Japanese Arisaka training rifle.

With absolutely NO experience (or skill) in wood or metal work, I glued, screwed, and nailed all those parts together into something that resembled a rifle - if viewed from 25 feet away. It was so rough that to call it crude would have been an upgrade. I got it to shoot so well I could guarantee that it would hit the ground with every shot.

That rifle is long gone now, replaced by some genuine for-real muzzle-loaders, after having given me an interest in black powder shooting that has lasted over 50 years thus far.

My first is the TC Renegade in the picture of smoke poles. Since then I have picked up 3 more since that pic.

Attachments

• 51971908-A3E0-499F-85A6-FA78FDC2AA3F.jpeg
    51971908-A3E0-499F-85A6-FA78FDC2AA3F.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 9234F603-AA73-469F-ACF5-28B45807DE12.jpeg
    9234F603-AA73-469F-ACF5-28B45807DE12.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 83
  • 0B513D64-761F-4EDE-9651-62C724E46D5A.jpeg
    0B513D64-761F-4EDE-9651-62C724E46D5A.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 86
  • EEB9BA2D-F7ED-4F72-BE88-1581E0797DA1.jpeg
    EEB9BA2D-F7ED-4F72-BE88-1581E0797DA1.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 75
Black Powder? I have been shooting BPCR for year or so. First BP was Sharps 45-70 creedmore 270 of 500. Next was Pietta high wall 45-70. Next was high wall Miroku. Latest is Gibbs .451 and Whitworth hex .451. (wear a smile when you buy a hex mold) I got buffalo arms 535gn paper patch for Gibbs. Have not shot latest two as bullet prep is big learning curve. And very latest is 1847 2nd gen Dragoon. My other gun are mostly cowboy shooting/ wild bunch. Had to buy two more safes last month . Thanks more than you ever wanted to know. LOL

Around 1979 I traded for a partially built CVA Kentucky pistol kit that a friend has purchased at the local drug store (our small town drug store was more like a “general store”). I got it together and made it shoot. Next in the summer of 1981 I had graduated high school and bought myself a CVA Frontier rifle kit in .50 flintlock. With that gun I took my first whitetail deer and it carried me into membership in the AMM. I still have that rifle.

CVA KY .45 kit. Didnt clean grease out LOL (I was 10, nobody told me?) So we took her out after I built it spent about an hour getting it to shoot. Wish I had it back just to see what I did in wood work as a 10 yr old! Recall it was a hoot, accurate and after the cosmoline was burned away it was quite reliable! Bought for $45.00 from the camera man at the paper (i was a paper boy).

The late Jay Olson offered to build me a southern mountain rifle from a Track of the Wolf Kit. It is in .45 caliber with a Green Mountain barrel. It was built with a Siler flintlock and I have switched it to a Siler caplock. I have the parts to switch back to flint if necessary.

Mine was a TC Hawken 50 cal kit gun. My wife bought me back in the mid to early eighties. Spent 6 months are more building it. Another 10 years before i shot it. Still have it to this day along with 2 inline front stuffers and a lot of pistols and revolvers. All black powfer.
DL

My first was a TC Hawken 45 that got stolen, stayed away for too many yrs to count. Stumbled across this forum and got hooked on all the history behind BP. Now have 4 BP rifles and having fun with them all. Planning on building a rifle this winter.

I guess my first ML I owned would be my 1863 model 2 Springfield (original), inherited when dad passed away. Honestly....(here comes the flack....) I have never shot it, although I certainly could...I wont try to rate it, but I have yet to see another original CW Springfield in as good condition. (side note...I do have a Chattahoochee Arms Springfield which is my shooter).
My first I purchased and shot, was a Traditions Hawken style. It was a fair gun, but I had a alot of problems with the lock and trigger, necessitating both being returned several times. It shot very accurately, but ultimately I traded it even up for a Lyman GPR, which was at least two lbs lighter.

back in 1949, I shot an original that was my fathers, it had an oval brass plate in the butt stock. it read, PRESENTED TO ADMIRAL SIR ISSIC COFFEN, ANNO DOM 1715. I in later life about 1958, I wrote to the BRITISH ADMIRALTY OFFICE, in LONDON. and got a nice reply. that read he was court marshaled, and drummed out if the NAVY, for BLACK MARKETING. and was banned from all offices bot civil & political. I let the affidavit go whit the gun, when I sold it. I would take my fathers 110 gauge BP, shells and pour the powder in and a pica of brown KRAFT, paper shopping bag and the round PUMPKIN BALL on top with another piece of paper bag, an prime the pan with powder that I saved for that purpose. I sold it before I joined the ARMY. IN 1961.wish I had it now!!!

Thompson/Center Hawken, .45, built by my former step-dad in the 70s as a young guy, and first shot by me about 1990. Sent it back to him via my little brother last year.

back in 1949, I shot an original that was my fathers, it had an oval brass plate in the butt stock. it read, PRESENTED TO ADMIRAL SIR ISSIC COFFEN, ANNO DOM 1715. I in later life about 1958, I wrote to the BRITISH ADMIRALTY OFFICE, in LONDON. and got a nice reply. that read he was court marshaled, and drummed out if the NAVY, for BLACK MARKETING. and was banned from all offices bot civil & political. I let the affidavit go whit the gun, when I sold it. I would take my fathers 110 gauge BP, shells and pour the powder in and a pica of brown KRAFT, paper shopping bag and the round PUMPKIN BALL on top with another piece of paper bag, an prime the pan with powder that I saved for that purpose. I sold it before I joined the ARMY. IN 1961.wish I had it now!!!
Think date may be wrong and If this is same guy what a career !!! Sir Isaac Coffin, 1st Baronet - Wikipedia

My first , in 1971, was a homemade plains rifle from Dixie plans and parts. Numeric Arms barrel , .58 cal. 'cause the directions said , "Big Cal. only. Hunk of Greene Co. walnut for a stock., , Rest of the parts , under rib , t.g, butt plate , screws etc. , Dixie . Lock came From a m/l gun shop Prop. , Bob Kern , Ligonier , Pa.. The gun was a shooter..................oldwood

my first one and still have it t/c hawken 50 cal rifle,,second one t/c hawken 36 cal seneca, dumbass i sold it then a t/c hawken 54 cal

Latest posts

Back