• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What was my mistake?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, I had a major uh oh moment. Let me begin by saying ive shot black powder for years with no issues, but mostly muskets. Ive shot a lot of revolvers but mainly blanks in reenacting. Today I loaded my new toy a 1858 remington. I began by loading 30 grains of powder, my ball, packed the ball, and put muzzleloading grease over the top of the cylinder. First round of shots went great, reloaded shot once...no issue...the second time made a noise that didnt sound right. I popped out the cylinder and to my suprise the ball was lodged in the throat of the barrel! Had I pulled another round im afraid this gun would have exploded in my hands. Any idea what I done wrong? Thanks
sounds like a squib load to me? it happens.

No it wouldn’t have exploded but that second ball hitting the one lodged in the barrel would have most likely ruined your barrel by bulging it. My daughter was shooting my 357 Blackhawk one time. I was standing beside her. I heard that weird pop too and yelled at her to STOP. She was shooting 38 reloads someone gave me. He too forgot to put powder in. That primer lodged that 38 bullet halfway down the barrel. I had to beat it out with a cleaning rod.

Mr. TreeMan, I enjoy your posts and as a very friendly bit of advice I would suggest you NEVER shoot someone else's reloads. I have seen to many incidents to trust even good friends work. I only trust my own.

Just a thought...any chance the lodged ball is a slightly larger diameter than what it should be? I am not familiar with bp revolvers...if there is enough lee way in the cylinder for that to happen.

First off, NO FIREARM, REGARDLESS OF IGNITION SHOULD BE CALLED A "TOY"
These are all dangerous if not respected
As to what happened, I would go with no powder , and from the view I would say the cylinder could not revolve to the nest firing position with the ball partially in the barrel

Just a thought...any chance the lodged ball is a slightly larger diameter than what it should be? I am not familiar with bp revolvers...if there is enough lee way in the cylinder for that to happen.
They are supposed to be bit larger than the bore. Once a ball is rammed into a chamber any excess size is shaved off. The loading procedure sizes the ball to fit the bore.

Squib load. When using the proper size balls the percussion caps do not have enough energy to shoot the ball out of the cylinder ( I supposed it could if you had polished chambers, hot cap with damaged nipples) but is unlikely. Now up to two grains of BP will shoot it out enough to lodge in the throat like you showed in the pic. You were lucky (or unlucky) that it made it into the barrel, believe me, you don’t want to bridge 50/50 barrels/cylinder. You need to play close attention when loading, don’t get distracted and when in doubt, double check or stop altogether and start over. A few wasted grains of powder are not worth your hands or health! Also, as other suggested, DO NOT use the seating depth of the ball in the chamber to determine is is loaded or not. The chambers can empty or with 20 grains and the ram will seat them at the same depth regardless. If you are shooting heavier loads you can possible tell but not with light loads. Neither is the size of the ball unless is undersized enough to NOT get a grip and shave a ring, ie, .451 ball on a .457 chamber. But, I could get my wooden dowel and leather mallet out and try to safely replicate you situation. Experimentation always beats opinion.

I’m not a BP revolver guy, but I suspect with that much of the ball exposed in the forcing cone, you may not have been able to rotate the cylinder to the next chamber. (Just a thought…)

Looking at the pic he had just enough room to turn the cylinder and remove it so he could have easily fired another shot behind this one........... As someone else stated it would certainly have bulged the barrel at that point and possibly cracked the frame. Result: a ruined gun

Looking at the pic he had just enough room to turn the cylinder and remove it so he could have easily fired another shot behind this one........... As someone else stated it would certainly have bulged the barrel at that point and possibly cracked the frame. Result: a ruined gun
Agree there. And shooting should be smooth process from getting the gun out of the case, thru loading and shooting and actually seeing the projectile hit the target is possible, one smooth swosh. Any hiccups and a halt is necessary to inspect and determine and stop or proceed!!! I have made my fair share of mistake, thank God that I have always walked away unscathed!! Well, other that when I was Meandering in Mogadishu!! LOL

First off, NO FIREARM, REGARDLESS OF IGNITION SHOULD BE CALLED A "TOY"
These are all dangerous if not respected
As to what happened, I would go with no powder , and from the view I would say the cylinder could not revolve to the nest firing position with the ball partially in the barrel
I respect what your saying, but using the word new toy was in no way meaning it was treated as such. Ive been around guns and black powder my entire life and have always been as safe as possible with no issues.

Ok thanks next question as my powder measurer is not the most accurate. 30 grains seems to about put the ball flush with the cylinder. I dont want to get to much powder and cause an explosion that way. What is the proof load on these if I get a tad over lets say 40 grains would I be in danger?
I don't know the proof load but you can only get so much powder in there and still seat the ball. It will not blow up but if continued will wear out the frame before it's time. I bought one from a friend that had a loose frame. I asked him how much powder he used. He said he didn't know, he just filled the cyl. all the way.

Ok thanks next question as my powder measurer is not the most accurate. 30 grains seems to about put the ball flush with the cylinder. I dont want to get to much powder and cause an explosion that way. What is the proof load on these if I get a tad over lets say 40 grains would I be in danger?
Not to worry. 30 grains is a safe enough load. Full house loads are not recommended for extended shooting though.

When loading either on or off the gun my system is to pour in the powder and place a lubed wad in the chamber mouth..That shows if If there is a wad it is loaded.
Before seating the ball the wad gets seated on the powder charge which again double checks if the chamber is loaded.
Removing a "dry ball" wad is a lot easier than removing a "dry ball" lead ball.
Pesky Comanches ain't charging at ya, so load slow and careful. THEN make every shot count.
Hold Center
Hit Center
That's the plan
Bunk

Today, I had a major uh oh moment. Let me begin by saying ive shot black powder for years with no issues, but mostly muskets. Ive shot a lot of revolvers but mainly blanks in reenacting. Today I loaded my new toy a 1858 remington. I began by loading 30 grains of powder, my ball, packed the ball, and put muzzleloading grease over the top of the cylinder. First round of shots went great, reloaded shot once...no issue...the second time made a noise that didnt sound right. I popped out the cylinder and to my suprise the ball was lodged in the throat of the barrel! Had I pulled another round im afraid this gun would have exploded in my hands. Any idea what I done wrong? Thanks

Obviously a "dry load" aka no powder.

All of the responses are just speculation and as such all can be correct -- pick which one you like :dunno: :ghostly:

My guess would be a short charge. If you were loading from a flask, sometimes the powder jams up in the spout, and you don't get a full drop. Always take a look. Might have gotten exciting if you had shot the next cylinder, but most likely, if the balls were pretty much in contact at the throat, they would both go out together. Some major recoil tho'. NOT something to try for fun.

Latest posts

Back