• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what type of horn do i have??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Son

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Has a weird growth pattern,translucent at the widest point and has a growth like natural finger grooves. Never really seen one like this ? Thanks very much~
DSC05983-1.jpg

DSC05987.jpg

DSC06002.jpg

DSC06001.jpg

Most bovine horns will have some of that effect. I believe it is from feeding patterns during the life of the animal. Not unlike spacing of rings in tree growth. That horn is more pronounced than most. However, it looks like the builder decided to incorporate them into the final design. Matter of taste if ye like it or don't. Looks OK to me but I wouldn't go out of my way to duplicate the effect.

Check with a Vet..Reason,when I was in Cancer treatment the DR.use to look at my finger nails,,so one day I asked ,Why,,The Dr. said anytime the human body experiences a sever sickness/chemo treatment,it affects the nail beds in the fingers,caused deep ridges in mine.SO a DR can look at your finger nails and tell if you have been very sick and approximately how long ago....
As horns are made of basically the same substance,,could be the cow was sick or something along those lines and it caused the horn to grow like yours....
Interesting either way....

It appears the animal was switched between grazing and feed lots back and forth. Causing the spaced out growth.Horn growth requires minerals which are in varing amounts on pasture but usually consistant in feed lot feeds. :idunno:

I dont know it goes honkkkkkkkk honnnkkkk might be from the Goose company.. Ha ha sorry I tried to resist but my humor won out..

Very unique. I've never seen one like that. Are you going to turn it into a powder horn?

Ya Know,,
The diet change idea makes about the most sense,
But did anyone think it might just be a Bovine with an odd Gene?
Kinda like a White Tail that grows "Non-Typical" antlers??

I've seen some people walking around with odd looking things hangin off them too,
Some of the young ones have what looks like metal hangin off all manner of odd places on their face an tounge,, :idunno:

I'd make a horn out of it fer sure, even if I hadta send it off to someone,,

Maybe it came from a Alpine Bovine....... :rotf:

(It DOES look a little like Rams Horn)

Back