• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What type of flint is this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies for bumping an older thread if that is frowned upon here.

I'm brand new to flint rifles and got my first recently, which is a very good condition TC PA Hunter with the original style lock and 32" half octo/half round barrel. I have been searching the subject of a good replacement flint here and this thread was one of the results.

At any rate, my rifle has a flint in it right now shaped just like the one in question shown on the OP, except mine is dark gray. I've been looking on TOTW at replacement flints but I admit to being very green to this and am not sure which would be best suited.

Not looking for instant answers with no effort on my part here. Just a little guidance.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep searching the forum.

Apologies for bumping an older thread if that is frowned upon here.

I'm brand new to flint rifles and got my first recently, which is a very good condition TC PA Hunter with the original style lock and 32" half octo/half round barrel. I have been searching the subject of a good replacement flint here and this thread was one of the results.

At any rate, my rifle has a flint in it right now shaped just like the one in question shown on the OP, except mine is dark gray. I've been looking on TOTW at replacement flints but I admit to being very green to this and am not sure which would be best suited.

Not looking for instant answers with no effort on my part here. Just a little guidance.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep searching the forum.
You want either English black flints, or French amber flints. The width of the flint should match the width of the jaws in your hammer.

You want either English black flints, or French amber flints. The width of the flint should match the width of the jaws in your hammer.
Thank you Sir. That's exactly the type of guidance I was looking for. I was a bit confused on all the different sizes of flint offered. Much appreciated 🍻

English black flints come in various shades of color from nearly black to gray. Pay less attention to the color and more attention to the sharpness of the edge. Learn how to knap the edge to keep it sharp and some of the hacks to keep that edge properly located with respect to the face of the frizzen.

Your flint size will be approximately the width of the frizzen by the distance from the jaw screw at half cock to the frizzen face less the thickness of the leather wrap less 1/8".

Latest posts

Back