• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What trigger to put in lyman deerstalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's that one piece trigger/guard right?
That hole is a half inch wide,,
Because of that there's only two options for the trigger besides the one you have, a Lyman double or the Davis Deer Slayer.
Installing one of those is possible but you need to remove some wood from the existing inlet for the double and install/inlet a different trigger guard
(the Lyman rifle Double trigger guard will work)
I just got done doing just that to a TC New Englander, a friend wanted double triggers and I used the TC factory double with a TC guard,, basically the same issue you have. It wasn't that tough to do.

That firearm has a single trigger and the lock might not contain a fly. If that is true you will have trouble with any sort of set trigger. If the lock has no fly I would suggest a stock pinned trigger. A lot of shooters are unaware of this option. You drill a 1/16" hole all the way through the stock in the lock mortise area. You'll need to slightly deepen the slot for the trigger blade and make a new trigger. Don't use a coil spring, it is pc for the trigger to loosely move forward. Depending on the design you ought to get a 2-3 lb pull.
You could also get an after market trigger plate with higher posts which would improve trigger pull.

for whatever it's worth, I put a Deer Slayer trigger in my T/C Renegade - it was a very substantial difference ... a bit of a splurge, but money well spent.

just one guy's advice ... free and doubtless well worth the cost! :v

If you want to replace the single trigger with a double set trigger you will probably have two problems.

The double set triggers often need a larger trigger guard to accommodate the second (rear) trigger.

Others mentioned that the lock used with a double set trigger needs a "fly" and your gun might not have one.

To find out if your lock has a fly in it, first make sure your gun is unloaded.

Then, pull the hammer back to full cock.

Place your thumb on the hammer spur and be ready to hold it in position and then, pull the trigger.

The hammer will start to jump downward but your thumb (or finger) should hold it just below the full cock notch engagement.

Now, slowly allow the hammer to move towards the fired position.

If your lock has a fly in it, the hammer will seem to pause just a little bit when it reaches the half cock position but, it will continue to fall to the completely "fired" position.

Sometimes the sear will hang up on the fly so, if it seems to stop at the half cock position, apply a little pressure to push it towards the fired position.

If it suddenly breaks loose and starts to continue to fall, your lock has a fly in it so you could install a double set trigger (if you resolve the trigger guard problem).

If the hammer comes firmly to a stop because the sear entered the half cock notch. your lock won't work with the most common type of double set triggers because it does not have a fly in it.

There is a double set trigger that will work with a lock that doesn't have a fly in it but most hunters don't like them.
That's because the front trigger will only fire the gun if the rear trigger is set first.

This "other type" of double set trigger will keep the hammer from being fully cocked unless the rear trigger is "set" first, before cocking.

The half cock notch also won't work unless the rear trigger is "set" before bringing up the hammer to the half cock position.

As I said, many hunters don't like walking around with a fully cocked set trigger that can try to fire with the brush of a twig.
Target shooters don't worry about this so they often like these special "Single Lever" set triggers.

don't know how much fiddlin' with the stock inlet it will take but, I'm pretty sure that triggerguard will have enough room in it.

as for the "fly" issue, unlike CVA which used about a dozen different locks with & without flies in their guns, T/C & Lyman used the same locks in all their guns. I'd be willin' to bet it has a fly.

did some work on my invest arms 58 hawkin. found that the same lock is used on all lyman side locks and invest arms.

There's a fly in all the Lyman locks.
The double trigger fit's the hole but wood needs to come out in the rear to make room for the rear trigger spring, the trigger cams will be in the right position.
The single trigger plate is longer in back and a wood plug needs to be glued in there, and the front of the new TG needs to be inlet. here's some pictures of my New Englander job;
http://s649.photobucket.com/user/necchi_2009/slideshow/New Englander
http://s649.photobucket.com/user/necchi_2009/New Englander/story

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back