• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Tool / Equipment Is Commonly Used to Secure Horn While Scrimshawing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGW006

32 Cal
Reaction score
All, would ya’ll share some ideas on what is commonly used, or best used, to hold and secure a horn while doing detailed, intricate scrimshaw? Are there any tools or equipment particularly useful for this?

Thank you,

JGW

Believe it or not, a bean bag to rest the horn on while holding it with your hand works pretty well. Sew yourself the size bag you want and fill it with dry navy beans from Kroger.

Believe it or not, a bean bag to rest the horn on while holding it with your hand works pretty well. Sew yourself the size bag you want and fill it with dry navy beans from Kroger.
A LEATHER bean bag would be even better: more grippy.

I have used a rear bench rest bag(leather) I have also used a rice bag. Thats a freezer bag filled with dry rice amd sealed in a leg section of an old pair of blue jeans. In other words a sandbag.
sorry it took so long to get there

Use the leather bean or sand bag to rest the horn on the bench and use a bicycle inner tube to wrap around the horn and bag to secure it.

Clamp a 2x4 or 2x6 to the bench to set the bag and give a place to wrap the inner tube.

some years ago, i ran across a bag of rice in the grocery store that wasn't wrapped the usual el- cheap- o plastic bag. it had the el- cheap- o plastic bag, and then a coarse cloth bag around that, so i snapped it up. it drew some funny looks from the wife and kids, but it's served me well and i've never felt the need to upgrade...

if it ain't broken, don't tinker with it...

I should add, take an old pair of jeans and cut off the legs, zip tie one end, fill with sand of to size desired then zip tie end. I have several different sizes for this and shooting off bench.

Back