Quantcast

WHAT TO WEAR...WHAT TO WEAR?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

flashpoint

40 Cal
Reaction score
Question: As far as one's persona goes, does geographic locations have any influence of the type of persona one chooses? So if one lives in the East, but they really like the fur trade period of the West, would it be odd or wrong to dress like say, a Jim Bridger? Or, if someone lived in Montana, but they like the Revolutionary War period they would dress up in breeches, waist coat and a tricorn? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm drawn to the fur trade early plains era because I grew up and live on the Great Plains. I was close to the Platte River area in Nebraska so those all drew my attention. So, in my younger years when the mountain man craze was hot I was into that. It is still my primary interest. I didn't have as great an interest in other eras from the muzzle loading point of view. I don't do rondy's any more or any re enacting. Now with that caveat, I don't think it matters all that much what someone's interest time frame is. You can choose whatever time frame is your interest. If you live in the eastern 1/3 of the country you have a longer time frame to pick up on if local history is part of your deal. I do think it is easier to be involved with something with a local tie in.

I live in Kansas. Doing a revolutionary period of F&I period would put me well before any local doings in this area. Civil war or fur trade era would be easy to do with a number of local groups.

kje54

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Question: As far as one's persona goes, does geographic locations have any influence of the type of persona one chooses? So if one lives in the East, but they really like the fur trade period of the West, would it be odd or wrong to dress like say, a Jim Bridger? Or, if someone lived in Montana, but they like the Revolutionary War period they would dress up in breeches, waist coat and a tricorn? Any thoughts? Thanks.
Basically my take is do what period you like regardless of where you are. If you do living history at least you can show the people where you are what it was like elsewhere and we do know that some fur trappers went back east from time to time. Though most likely they'd be wearing something more appropriate to eastern fashions. I live in Albuquerque yet I'm doing Colonial, if I wanted to match that to the region I live in I could do Spanish Colonial but I'm not Spanish and mia Espana esta es no bueno.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The only problem one may have is the closeness of events. Montana is likely to have more MM events. While east coast is more likely WTBS or colonial.
our history belongs to all Americans and you can be any time you want or several.
One of our members who doeasnt post much any more was Black Hand. He lived in Montana but did mostly colonial. He was one of ourmost knowledgeable members.
I live in Missouri and have a choice. Close is colonial (fort Chartes) war of 1812(fort osage) federal( all around like Nat Boone’s place at Ash Grove, or Arkansas (Petie Jean), Santa Fe trail( Arrowrock), so I have several outfits.

Dale Lilly

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I like the fur trade era in Rockies. No one near me seems interested. So … I don't remember who but someone on this forum said he wore MM style all the time .. every day. I am jealous … don't have the guts to do that so my clothing just hangs in a dark closet crying …"wear me today … wear me … please wear me." Polecat

kje54

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I like the fur trade era in Rockies. No one near me seems interested. So … I don't remember who but someone on this forum said he wore MM style all the time .. every day. I am jealous … don't have the guts to do that so my clothing just hangs in a dark closet crying …"wear me today … wear me … please wear me." Polecat
If you're old enough you can be as eccentric as you wish...........

Dale Lilly

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If you're old enough you can be as eccentric as you wish...........
Yeah, and I am oooold. Around here the style is 'sloppy' or
'cowboy' … but I may do it yet. Hmmmm

flashpoint

40 Cal
Reaction score
The only problem one may have is the closeness of events. Montana is likely to have more MM events. While east coast is more likely WTBS or colonial.
our history belongs to all Americans and you can be any time you want or several.
One of our members who doeasnt post much any more was Black Hand. He lived in Montana but did mostly colonial. He was one of ourmost knowledgeable members.
I live in Missouri and have a choice. Close is colonial (fort Chartes) war of 1812(fort osage) federal( all around like Nat Boone’s place at Ash Grove, or Arkansas (Petie Jean), Santa Fe trail( Arrowrock), so I have several outfits.
Well put Tenngun

Reaction score
Kje 54, I ran into a fella dressed very similar to you last year in Buffalo Wyoming, we were having supper at the Occidental hotel (neat place) he was sitting at the bar after we finished eating he introduced himself and sat down for a bit we had a few drinks and a interesting discussion on different subjects. Turned out he was a rancher from South Dakota.

kje54

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Kje 54, I ran into a fella dressed very similar to you last year in Buffalo Wyoming, we were having supper at the Occidental hotel (neat place) he was sitting at the bar after we finished eating he introduced himself and sat down for a bit we had a few drinks and a interesting discussion on different subjects. Turned out he was a rancher from South Dakota.
He musta liked looking historic. My getup there is roughly late 1870s, early 1880s. The vest was my first attempt at a vest, it's probably in a box somewhere as my subsequent vests are much better constructed. The jacket is a short jacket I threw together with dyed cotton canvas and may or may not be period correct.
The "Sam Houston" hat palm hat I bought at Bent's Fort, that style hat goes back at least to the 1600s in New Spain. The trousers are Civil War sky blue trousers and the boots are so called "Preacher Boots" introduced sometime in the mid to late 1870s.

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.
Reaction score
My uniform, as seen in my avatar, is that of a unit that was mostly east of the Appalachian Mountains with the exception of a few detached officers. We chose to reenact as a British unit during the French and Indian War. So, yes, choose what you want to portray. Odd, perhaps, wrong, no.

RanchRoper

40 Cal
Reaction score
Go for it, we're a long time dead. I wear buckskins quite often just as regular wear.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Question: As far as one's persona goes, does geographic locations have any influence of the type of persona one chooses?
YES for some people. NO for others. There is an old saying in living history...
IF you're not having fun doing living history, you're doing it wrong.

So if one lives in the East, but they really like the fur trade period of the West, would it be odd or wrong to dress like say, a Jim Bridger? Or, if someone lived in Montana, but they like the Revolutionary War period they would dress up in breeches, waist coat and a tricorn? Any thoughts? Thanks.
As Tenngun pointed out, you may find more of one era type event, than those which your chosen area favors. For example, you can wear whatever you wish as a "day tripper" to the Fort Frederick Market Fair, but..., as the time period cutoff is 1790... you'd be asked not to wear the Mountain Man getup "after public hours".

We have occasional "time line events" where you find folks from the Norman Conquests up to and including WW2. 👍 The USAHEC&WC sometimes holds such an event. They even have an area of repro WWI trench ( U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center & War College). They are located in Carlisle PA.

IF you dress like a mountain man or an American Civil War person, and attend an F&I or AWI battle reenactment (as a spectator), you will get the "stink eye" from some of the reenactment participants, as it's considered "poor form" to attend such an event in garb from a different historic era. However, they give folks from their era a tongue lashing if they discover an F&I or AWI person went to an ACW event, or a WW1 or WW2 event in uniform, or civilian 18th century attire. It's thought to be "disrespectful" of the folks who are doing the demonstration for the public. 😞

The 33rd Regiment of Foote, General Cornwallis' home regiment, is very very well done by a group of lads and ladies..., in Southern California. 😊

Back in the 1980's there was a group of Norse living history enthusiasts, with a small, reproduction Viking ship, shields/oars/square sail that operated on the Chesapeake Bay. 🤯

There is an Eastern Rondezvous every year, East of the Mississippi River, where historically I don't think such things were held post 1820. ;)

LD

kje54

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

As Tenngun pointed out, you may find more of one era type event, than those which your chosen area favors. For example, you can wear whatever you wish as a "day tripper" to the Fort Frederick Market Fair, but..., as the time period cutoff is 1790... you'd be asked not to wear the Mountain Man getup "after public hours".

We have occasional "time line events" where you find folks from the Norman Conquests up to and including WW2. 👍 The USAHEC&WC sometimes holds such an event. They even have an area of repro WWI trench ( U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center & War College). They are located in Carlisle PA.

IF you dress like a mountain man or an American Civil War person, and attend an F&I or AWI battle reenactment (as a spectator), you will get the "stink eye" from some of the reenactment participants, as it's considered "poor form" to attend such an event in garb from a different historic era. However, they give folks from their era a tongue lashing if they discover an F&I or AWI person went to an ACW event, or a WW1 or WW2 event in uniform, or civilian 18th century attire. It's thought to be "disrespectful" of the folks who are doing the demonstration for the public. 😞

The 33rd Regiment of Foote, General Cornwallis' home regiment, is very very well done by a group of lads and ladies..., in Southern California. 😊

Back in the 1980's there was a group of Norse living history enthusiasts, with a small, reproduction Viking ship, shields/oars/square sail that operated on the Chesapeake Bay. 🤯

There is an Eastern Rondezvous every year, East of the Mississippi River, where historically I don't think such things were held post 1820. ;)

LD
I did WWII mostly in PA. How many ETO land battles actually occurred within our continental borders..........? :cool:

flashpoint

40 Cal
Reaction score
Great info LD. I had no idea that there were so many considerations in what to wear depending on who was doing what. Thanks for taking the time. Flashpoint!

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

LD
I’ve been to a runic monument in Oklahoma. It was first mentioned in the 1830s. The letters were badly eroded and full of encrustations.
The spot was a perfect spot for a settlement. Steep hill opening to a broad plain, and a river system that was navigable by Viking type craft.
No other Viking artifacts were around there.
From L’Anse aux Meadows sail south to Florida, up the other side along the gulf to the Mississippi north to the Arkansas west to Oklahoma. I don’t know why they would go so far when there were plenty of fur to take along the way, and lots of places to build a settlement.
Can’t say I’m convinced, but ... maybe them Chesapeake Vikings were just on the way to Oklahoma 😊

Latest posts