• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what to use instead of lead balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calling individuals ignorant is in no way relevant to … what’s a alternative to lead round balls.

I also am at fault for getting off track.

Perhaps staying on topic regardless of That States Rules/Laws would be best.
"Shows The Common misconceptions and misunderstanding of laws/rules/regulations in that “Environment”"
No, they know what they are doing, exactly what they are doing, The incremental removal of firearms from their "subject", not citizens, "subjects". And if you think those same like minded pinks's aren't working toward the same goal in your state, you are ignorant.
Robby

Last edited:
I'd just go to fish and game or write to them and ask:
1. What's legal?
2. Where do I get them.
3. Could you please write it down for me on your stationary that says F+G Dept.?
Now you have it in writing and have a sample of their DNA to prove you got the info from them if there's problems.

I believe the proper way to say it is- Some are born that way, Some learn to be that way. Yet not all are.

Anyway - Instead of Lead round ball, I’d seek out a alternate plan that would keep my cost down. If powder coating is the answer- there ya go.

Some choose to remain that way.
Robby

I wasn’t aware that jacketed lead bullets are illegal- I’m not on the up to date laws/regulations. Was just offering a idea. Obviously it’s a Odd State of Rules and regulations. A place I certainly don’t ever want to be in, hunting or not.
A58D, if jacketed bullets with lead cores are banned statewide why would powder coated be considered ok?
besides the op has stated he isn't going to hunt.

As of July 1, 2019, lead ammunition will no longer be legal in California. This ban applies to all hunting (including public and private land), all wildlife (game birds, nongame birds and mammals) and all firearms (rifles, shotguns, pistols and muzzleloader) “in any gauge or caliber for the take of any legal species,” according to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW). This ban, which was signed into law in October 2013, makes California the first state to require nonlead ammunition for all firearms-related hunting.

Hard Rubber balls for California mzldrs… 👍

Attachments

• C8CB4A11-857F-47D1-948F-87833B08B162.jpeg
    C8CB4A11-857F-47D1-948F-87833B08B162.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 13
How about a bismuth ball (or other heavy metal) encapsulated in a tough nylon (or other polymer) jacket.
The heavy core supplies the mass the plastic jacket grips the patch.
Larger rifled bores could use a non toxic ball cradled in a sabot like conical bullet shooter do now.

What I have used at a range for many years are soft-patched glass marbles. With a bit of research, you can locate marbles of the right diameter so that only the patch rides in the rifling. Marbles don't deform to conform to the rifling.

Back