• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what to use instead of lead balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity, how do you pull a steel ball?
Nothing personal-but having been a Deputy Conservation Officer myself, I found that the full time salaried "deer police" consisted mostly of individuals who were not qualified to be actual LEOs. They were constantly understaffed and battling an "inferiority complex."

Lead.......Periodic table symbol: PB........is a NATURALLY occurring ELEMENT, in the earth in its final form. It is NOT man made nor artificially processed. It is there.....IN the ground.....only to be duh up. So, how do these environmentalists think that it affects the earth....other than maybe too much accumulation from rifle ranges? Maybe ranges should dig through their berms now and then and recover the lead.

Just humor me here.

If I smashed flat a Conical I made- and no metal was showing- only powder coating…..
With that in my pocket

As I show that to a Officer- proving no lead would be available to the environment- even if it Was deformed and exited after a animal….

How is that not sufficient for the requirements?

No Lead would be in the environment to do harm.

I guess that’s a silly question- becouse we are talking about a place that has some very silly rules/laws… and Common Sense dosnt apply to this thought pattern.

2AC5D235-CA91-4F21-9538-121B4039B484.jpeg
Perhaps Gold could be used- Why not? After all, Everything is more expensive in California

If fish and foul doubts your ammo is lead free they take a sample and have it tested.

Re:
How will wildlife officers check for compliance?
All ammunition in a hunter’s possession may be inspected by wildlife officers. In some cases, if a wildlife officer suspects a hunter is in possession of lead ammunition and cannot prove otherwise in the field, he or she may seize a cartridge or bullet for further analysis. Hunters are encouraged to assist in confirming compliance by retaining and carrying in the field ammunition boxes or other packaging.
Here they carry a magnet and check for the contents with that.

Lead.......Periodic table symbol: PB........is a NATURALLY occurring ELEMENT, in the earth in its final form. It is NOT man made nor artificially processed. It is there.....IN the ground.....only to be duh up. So, how do these environmentalists think that it affects the earth....other than maybe too much accumulation from rifle ranges? Maybe ranges should dig through their berms now and then and recover the lead.
I understand that the law in California was enacted to protect the endangered Condor (and other wildlife) from lead poisoning by ingesting the lead bullets/balls. At least that was their excuse at the time. I don't think that is a valid reason.

Fish cops...we have our share of feces for brains, jack-booted thugs here in Idaho too.

And I am very pro-LEO, so for me to form that opinion comes from seeing and experiencing them, not from hearsay.

You might try looking up "Ecoslugs" (or "Eco-Slugs"... I've seen both spellings). We are not supposed to discuss sabots, but in the interest of helping the man out, I don't think it will hurt to just mention them so he can look them up for himself.

These have a threaded hole in the nose that allows the bullet to be pulled with a threaded ramrod adapter that they provide, if you dryball a load or you meet up with a crotchety game warden who wants to see the bullet (see post #11). The manufacturer also indicates these like a faster twist but will work with one turn in 48".

Notchy Bob

with a 1:48 twist, I'd recommend a saboted all copper barnes bullet or Hornady's gilded non-lead bullet. Your should be able to find a load that your gun likes shooting them. Both should conform to Cali's no lead rule.

Back