• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What To Do

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbw907

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Folks, I recently purchased a nice looking CVA 50 cal Hawken rifle. According to the date, it was made in 1999. What is bothering me is right beside the word "Hawken" it was stamped "second". I know that there was a recall on some CVA rifles due to the barrels being bad. I have not looked on their website yet to see if this is one that was recalled or not, but I was wondering what the "second" stamp meant. I have not shot it yet. but someone has put a nice adjustable rear sight on it and it seems to have been shot more than twice. I got a real good deal on it and just wondered who may know the meaning of the stamp. Thanks. :hatsoff:

The fact that it's stamped tells me that the factory had taken a look at it. I doubt they would have released a known defective gun. Seconds usually have some cosmetic blemish somewhere. Nothing that would effect use but would prevent the gun from being sold at the same price as a factory first grade gun would. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thank you Plink. I thought that it must have been checked because someone had been using it before me and seemed to have taken care of it . I will e-mail Cva and give them the serial no. and see what they say about the stamp.

My son shoots a CVA Hawken in .50, the barrel is stamped "reconditioned". makes you wonder,BUT he won the young adult division at a large rondy with it last year and took 3rd pick off the blanket yesterday at the same annual rondy using the same gun!
If the barrel or gun were bad, it would have been destroyed.

shantheman,
I agree with Plink, but if you have any doubts, by
all means contact CVA.IMO
snake-eyes :hmm:

The CVA recall was for the barrels of the soulless wonders. I don't believe that their sidelock barrels were ever in question.

reconditioned rifles simply mean they were returns and the factory went through the rifle and replaced what parts were worn or bad. I bought a reconditioned in.... Er... and the rifle was stamped RFB.

The Traditions Deerhunter that I bought from the Traditions factory store is stamped with an "S" and the end of the box is stamped "Second" in red ink. I was told that it was a gunwriter's sample when I purchased it, and that it was sent out to test for a magazine write-up and then returned and put on display for sale. There were a few insignificant tool marks just under the crown, but the trigger is sweet and it shoots really great.
So whether it's for cosmetic reasons or because it was used as a sample, yours wasn't sold quite the same as a "new, first quality" rifle. A lot of companies sell factory seconds at a discount, and that doesn't mean that some of the first quality goods aren't also sold with flaws.

P1010520a35.jpg

Thanks to all who replied on the subject. I looked the gun over very well before I purchased it and then even better after I got it home and I feel confident that it is safe. I also e-mailed CVA and hopefully they will let me know what the stamp was for. Thanks again. :hatsoff:

Back