• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVERS?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Alright Campers, since this is under Camp Cooking...,
We had a thread on Thanksgiving traditions, and some folks mentioned what was done with the leftovers, BUT that thread is now really really, really long.
So lets talk about what we do with leftovers from that feast the day after, and etc?

So..., I like to take some of the turkey diced or pulled/shredded (the turkey back and the carcass is good for this), some of the dressing, some of the vegetables (could be squash, zucchini, Brussel sprouts) and the mashed or boiled taters..., combine them in a bowl with enough turkey gravy to cover but not be too runny.

Then I take frozen pie crusts, and refrigerated pie crusts.
I pre bake the frozen crusts (they often come in pairs) for about 15 minutes. Fill them with the mixture of leftovers, cover with a refrigerated crust (they come in pairs as well), and trim and crimp that crust down. THEN I I cut a slit or two in the middle as a steam vent and bake as directed.

After baking, especially if you haven't overdone it on the gravy inside, you can cut this like a pie, and serve it with a slice of canned, jellied, cranberry sauce on the side.

😋

LD

Alright Campers, since this is under Camp Cooking...,
We had a thread on Thanksgiving traditions, and some folks mentioned what was done with the leftovers, BUT that thread is now really really, really long.
So lets talk about what we do with leftovers from that feast the day after, and etc?

So..., I like to take some of the turkey diced or pulled/shredded (the turkey back and the carcass is good for this), some of the dressing, some of the vegetables (could be squash, zucchini, Brussel sprouts) and the mashed or boiled taters..., combine them in a bowl with enough turkey gravy to cover but not be too runny.

Then I take frozen pie crusts, and refrigerated pie crusts.
I pre bake the frozen crusts (they often come in pairs) for about 15 minutes. Fill them with the mixture of leftovers, cover with a refrigerated crust (they come in pairs as well), and trim and crimp that crust down. THEN I I cut a slit or two in the middle as a steam vent and bake as directed.

After baking, especially if you haven't overdone it on the gravy inside, you can cut this like a pie, and serve it with a slice of canned, jellied, cranberry sauce on the side.

😋

LD
my plate would have a Can of sliced jellied cranberry sauce and a slice of pie!

Small diced potatoes roasted, I like to roll them in olive oil and use poultry spice.
When they’re cooked whip up eggs with a little olive oil and pour in a greased oven sage frying pan
Potatoes over that as soon as the bottom starts to set
Then diced turkey
Then cover with eggs and toss in a 350 f oven
In Spanish cooking they call it a tortilla
You can substitute any spice you like with your turkey on your potatoes

I like turkey.
Turkey soup made with leftover vegetables, stock made with leftover bones
Turkey pot pie.
Turkey salad or ham salad as the case may be.
Turkey tetrazzini.
Turkey on sourdough sandwich.

I prefer turkey over chicken. I usually buy 5-6 when on sale this time of year. Got 3 last week at $0.49 /lb
And it's about time to smoke a ,big bird.
Son just told me today he has a wild one left from last year.
Did I mention that I like turkey? Never goes to waste here.

When I was growing up my mother (who lived through the depression) stretched that poor old turkey till his gobble was 2 octaves higher. We ate sandwiches, tetrazzini, chopped up and made into a spread with celery, mayonnaise, & relish and lastly hash that if it wasn’t completely eaten it was frozen for later when we weren’t so tired of eating turkey. When she finished with the carcass and threw it out the stray dogs would come running, look at it and turn around and leave because she had wrung every speck of anything edible from those bare bones.

Deer hunting sandwhiches, and tonight turkey corn soup, as its just the wife the dog and I we only do a turkey breast.

Turkey has a stronger taste than chicken so go with things that work with it. The spices in an enchilada, tamales, BBQ, Brunswick stew.

I say turkey tastes like turkey. I know people who say venison tastes too wild for them. I just ask what wild tastes like. Deer ain't beef, chicken doesn't taste like duck and squirrel definetly doesn't taste like pork.
I take them for what they are.

My wife already made soup with the turkey carcass. She’ll use some of the bone broth to make turkey & sausage gumbo. I’m back at the camp and she sent a large bag of the leftover smoked ham with me. Tonight I browned a bunch of ham in the skillet, then scrambled 4 eggs, and toasted a big slice of buttered sour dough bread. It was pretty tasty.

So..., I like to take some of the turkey diced or pulled/shredded (the turkey back and the carcass is good for this), some of the dressing, some of the vegetables (could be squash, zucchini, Brussel sprouts) and the mashed or boiled taters..., combine them in a bowl with enough turkey gravy to cover
Ditto. But I use this combination for pastys.

Back