• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do with leftovers!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Don't know if you have any, but we sure do! A 25lb turkey for four people leaves a lot to play with.

Tonight will be turkey and stuffing croquettes. I'll boil the carcass for soup tomorrow. Not sure what I'll do with the rest of it yet.

What are you doing with yours?

We get a smoked turkey every year, and I look forward to the leftovers. I think my favorite is a noodle bowl. I like to do oriental, mostly Japanese, style dishes, and this is one I thoroughly enjoy. It's a variation on turkey carcass soup, I guess. I pressure cook the carcass and other bones in 1 1/2 quarts water, then make noodles, use the carcass broth as the noodle broth, chunk in chunks of turkey meat and sprinkle over a Japanese seasoning called shichimi togarashi (seven flavor spice) which is medium hot. With a flask of sake, it will do you.

Spence

Turkey Pot Pie, Turkey Ala-king, Turkey Hash, Turkey Sandwiches. I'd opt for the Pot Pie myself...

Turkey salad:
Cubed Turkey (great way to use the bland breast meat)
Celery (Chopped)
Onion (Chopped)
Pecans (Chopped - not too small)
Salt & Pepper
Dill (dried)
Mayonnaise

Mix ingredients to taste and allow to sit for the flavors to develop (Not usually successful with the waiting).

Serve on/with crusty bread or buttered English Muffins.

I don't like leftovers in general and in particular don't like turkey leftovers. I've eaten them, of course, out of thrift. Turkey (IMHO) doesn't make good soup, which is why you don't see Turkey Noodle Soup on the aisles.

I'm just not a big turkey fan. Family dined on one yesterday. It's my role to carve the turkey, which I did, and ate a bit or two while carving. For dinner, I had a slice of spiral cut ham.

I've got a Japanese noodle cookbook with lots of recipes. They make a utility stock out of chicken, vegetables, and maybe some beef, but not turkey. And, IIRC, not much pork, another meat that doesn't make good broth. All that substance boiled down will make a LOT of stock for noodles along with a little bit of meat.

Love noodles! Vietnamese noodles in broth with vegetables and thin slices of beef (pronounched "phuh", I believe) is one of my favorites.

Modern practices have bred all the flavor out of most meats because at some point, Americans bought into the idea that fat was dangerous and that eating twigs, fruits and nuts was better. What a load of manure...

I am happy to see there is a growing movement to make meat taste good again. Pigs/cows should have fat and turkeys/chickens should not have unnaturally large mutant breasts that taste like wet paper.

Turkey bacon... :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: enough said...

This turkey had a lot of grease left over from cooking. I don't think I've ever had (know, not think) I've had a skinny turkey. Wild turkey. I agree the large breasts on chicken have definitely bred some of the taste out of it in favor of more curb appeal. Chicken doesn't taste as good as it used to. Pork/Ham? Forget about it. They slaughter pigs before they get old enough to be hogs and fat enough to taste good. When my family raised them, it was for meat and lard, but Wesson Oil put an end to cooking with lard. I guess you can still buy tasty beef, but feed lots have diminished that taste, also.

Sometimes, I guess I'm just another cranky old man.

Black Hand said:
Modern practices have bred all the flavor out of most meats because at some point, Americans bought into the idea that fat was dangerous and that eating twigs, fruits and nuts was better. What a load of manure...
But Black Hand.......We add spices and seasonings to food that give it tremendous flavor, and they are "twigs, fruits and nuts"..... :rotf:

Man do I agree with Clyde, heck, you got to die of something! We love turkey and have it several times a year in many ways. Roasted, smoked, fried and in soup and/or noodles.

At least when this old fat boy croaks, they can say he ate well ...very well! :thumbsup:

:stir: Let's eat!

Not HC, but we often slice and freeze some of the meat for future use. It is handy for those evenings when no one feels like doing a bunch of cooking to pull a bag of frozen turkey out of the freezer and throw together something quick with it. Or, just let it thaw and have turkey sandwiches a couple of weeks after it was frozen.

Try Turkey enchiladas. A little turkey goes a long way. IAE shred it up and add some cinnamon or allspice- just a little- wrap in flour tortilla, cover with green chili and queso blanco.
The green chili is jalapeno and bell 50/50 or use tomatillos if you prefer instead of the green bells- You want a hot green sauce.
I've tried it with chicken but the turkey is really better.
Brunswick stew is another good way to use turkey.

Had a sandwich of smoked turkey on homemade bread for lunch, and had the thought that nothing more is needed. Had a bowl of udon noodles like that one I posted above last night, had the same thought. I think I'm easy to please. :wink:

Spence

Latest posts

Back