• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do with a pitted bore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As we go thru the estate items some perplexing things come up. One is a like new, Walnut stocked .50 New Englander that someone obviously shot once or twice and didn't clean. It now has moderate patches of pitting in the bore but looks like it just came out of the box. I guess it can be used the way it is but the pitting is a concern. Options that came to mind include a) replacement barrel, b) a drop in shotgun baarel or c) boring the barrel out to 20 gauge (approx .625) and making a shotgun out of it. I have the tools but losing the skill to do the latter. What do you think? Its so nice and the barrel is thick but kinda short.

Minor pitting may not adversely affect the accuracy, but it may get fouling in the pits that will require some cleaning between shots. Bobby Hoyt can open the bore to a larger caliber rifle or make a smoothbore out of it.

I would try shooting it to see if still has some accuracy left.

First thing to do is clean it up & shoot it. Then base your next decision based on the results of that experience.

Should you decide to fix it PM me. I just did repair on 2 barrels a couple of months ago. I can send you the info.

Think about how shallow the rifling in a TC really is. It can be rebored with very little increase in bore size, very little metal removal.
As concerns what a New Englander is, such a stout little hunting rifle with thick wall at the 1 1/16" diameter breech and the pretty tapered round barrel, well, there are always .515" diameter bullet molds available from Lee, Lymans, all the other mold companies and always on auction sites. So yeah, I'd lean towards keeping just as is except new rifling.

Vintovka, the above suggestions make good sense if you plan to keep the rifle. If you are selling it, then I think you may want to clean it well and sell as is without extra expense but being up front with the buyer about condition.

I’ve a rifle with pitting, just shoot it. If it’s not too close to the muzzle, won’t make a bit of difference in accuracy. Just make sure to clean it well after to keep them from worsening.

I love the New Englander. I have one and my father also has one. I gave one as a graduation gift to my son with the additional second barrel in 12 gauge.

Bottom line is you're fine.

Take it out and shoot it and see if the pitting matters. If not, no worries. IF it does matter, then you can sent it to Bob Hoyt and turn it into a 28 gauge (.55 caliber smooth rifle).

LD

You could also take the time and run some cleaning patches with valve grinding compound gradually
increasing the patch thickness as you go along.
It will not make it brand new but it may bring it to where it is a good shooter.
Depends on how bad the bore is.
I own one. 25 years later still going strong.

SM

Latest posts

Back