• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do when your farsightedness get`s worse..?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried a lot of stuff to remedy my elder eyes and farsightedness. I do have a pair of shooting glasses from "Knobloch" a German maker. they work fine with my pistols, but there is a lot of tinkering to make them in to rifle glasses, it can be done, and I have tried it. But when at competition, when you shoot a mix of short barrel and long barrel muzzle loaders, there is no time to adjust in between. and with me been a little clumsy, It is the making of a disaster! I think I am going to get an "Iris" for ordinary glasses and use it for all my long barrel shooting and keep the Knoblock`s for pistols. I have looked at the:

Gehmann Iris Clip-on View attachment 147986

So my question is does any of you have any experience with this iris on ordinary or reading glasses?
I know progressive or bifocals are not good for shooting!

I put a peep sight on the rear of my rifle, and I believe it's helping. I still can't see the rear sight notch at all, but it doesn't matter. I see the front blade and the target, and that's it. Apparently the peep lets one line things up without actually seeing close up. Didn't want to do it, but it's keeping me in the game
The only thing a rear sight does is insure that your barrel is in line with the front sight and target.

Exactly so. You can not do that AND focus on the rear sight. You look through it. Not at it. Doesn't matter if its a peep, buckhorn, or notch.
when young you can focus on the rear and front site and the target

In a past life I shot a lot of long range and palma. A good solid rear aperture sight and whatever your favored front sight was, was necessary.

Progressive lenses are not suitable for shooting. The lane is in the center of the lens. When shooting a long gun you normally look through the inside corner of the lens. Bifocals are the best choice for me. I have them make the top focus at about 3-4'. That makes the front sight in focus, which is should be.

Nobody can focus the rear sight, front sight and target at once. It is impossible. When we were young the lens in your eye is flexible enough to switch between the three quickly, that is all. IF you are not focusing on the front sight you are doing it wrong. IF you install a peep sight everything is in focus, that is good. You just look through the peep, no conscious alignment is needed.

For me fancy stick on diopters are not a good answer. They must be in the exact right positon on the glasses. Some shooting disciplines do not allow them. I use a strip of electrical tape that is about 1/4" tall. I burn holes in the strip with a hot pin. Put the holes close together. That allows you to choose the correct hole and not contort your head and neck.

THIS SIGHT DIOPTER WORKS !!!
My corrected eyesight never provided me with a decent sight picture.
About 50 years ago I bought a pricey Merit adjustable suction cup diopter that provided me with a sharp image of both sights & my target but it soon fell off & was lost at a Friendship shoot.

The swing arm diopter worked so well in improving my scores that I promptly designed a clip-on version that worked equally well for competition & big game hunting & also flips-up & out of your line of vision when not being used & sold quite a few before I retired.
I purchased this Inexpensive jewelers Loupe frame off Amazon about a year ago so I could make one for a friend.
NOTE; The clip design on this jewelers Loupe differs from model I had used from Germany that is no longer manufactured. You may need to modify the shape to fit large sized plastic glasses frames OR just by an inexpensive pair metal reading glasses at a Dollar store.

I unscrewed & removed the glass magnifying lenses & used one for a O.D. size pattern &
replaced it with the plastic bottom off of a 35mm film canister. These canisters may be obsolete as
I am so may need to find a black plastic substitute.
Best to knock the shine off the disc with a scotch pad to eliminate glare.
I found that drilling a .060 dia. hole worked perfect for me, I recommend starting
with a .040 dia. hole to determine what diameter hole provides you with the sharpest sight & target picture.

Relic shooter

Attachments

• Pepsight loupe, my design DEAD EYE or EAGLE EYE.JPG
    Pepsight loupe, my design DEAD EYE or EAGLE EYE.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
Sure you can, but not at the same time! The human eye can only focus at one point in space at a time.
Centershot your very correct !! Love your forum mojo :thumb:
Center shots have always been my goal but my carcas would not cooperate :)
Those who have tried wearing a diopter find it's a game changer, both sight pictures & the target become clear.
Relic shooter

Sure you can, but not at the same time! The human eye can only focus at one point in space at a time.
I shot 1000's of rds at hi power matches and the front site and target was clear. if you cant do that how can you hit where you want? oh I see the front site but the target is blurry or I see the target but the site is blurry and twice the size

When you are young your eyes can change focus from near/far almost instantly and it seems they are both in focus, as you age your eyes lose elasticity and the ability to change focus quickly, add cataracts etc. and all of a sudden.....

Not winning matches any more are we:(

THIS SIGHT DIOPTER WORKS !!!
My corrected eyesight never provided me with a decent sight picture.
About 50 years ago I bought a pricey Merit adjustable suction cup diopter that provided me with a sharp image of both sights & my target but it soon fell off & was lost at a Friendship shoot.

The swing arm diopter worked so well in improving my scores that I promptly designed a clip-on version that worked equally well for competition & big game hunting & also flips-up & out of your line of vision when not being used & sold quite a few before I retired.
I purchased this Inexpensive jewelers Loupe frame off Amazon about a year ago so I could make one for a friend.
NOTE; The clip design on this jewelers Loupe differs from model I had used from Germany that is no longer manufactured. You may need to modify the shape to fit large sized plastic glasses frames OR just by an inexpensive pair metal reading glasses at a Dollar store.

I unscrewed & removed the glass magnifying lenses & used one for a O.D. size pattern &
replaced it with the plastic bottom off of a 35mm film canister. These canisters may be obsolete as
I am so may need to find a black plastic substitute.
Best to knock the shine off the disc with a scotch pad to eliminate glare.
I found that drilling a .060 dia. hole worked perfect for me, I recommend starting
with a .040 dia. hole to determine what diameter hole provides you with the sharpest sight & target picture.

Relic shooter
I have this exact same set up, unfortunately it does not work on my new titanium framed glasses that have very narrow ear pieces (up and down) so I use an older pair with an old prescription, have a Gehmann stick on from Champions Choice coming today to see if that works.

I shot 1000's of rds at hi power matches and the front site and target was clear. if you cant do that how can you hit where you want? oh I see the front site but the target is blurry or I see the target but the site is blurry and twice the size
I also shoot service rifle, and pretty well most of the time. A peep sight takes advantage of the pin hole effect, that brings everything is in focus at once. ". if you cant do that how can you hit where you want? " First, always focus the front sight, always. There are two methods used, the 6 O-clock and COM holds. More and more good shooter are using the COM strategy. Since the light conditions mess with the POA with the 6"oclock hold the COM hold is preferred. Aim at the most dense part of the black fuzz ball. That will be inside the natural wobble. If you have good form and reasonable trigger time the exact aiming point is not the most critical thing to shooting 10s. Follow through, no flinch, and consistency in how you hold the rifle have a huge effect. These things are even more critical with MLs.

So is an aperture on your glasses "legal" for smoothbore competition? No rear sight above the plane of the barrel. I may have to look that one up.

So is an aperture on your glasses "legal" for smoothbore competition? No rear sight above the plane of the barrel. I may have to look that one up

So is an aperture on your glasses "legal" for smoothbore competition? No rear sight above the plane of the barrel. I may have to look that one up.

Due to poor eyesight issues I used this correction device for about 40 years in smoothbore competition at rendezvous in several states with no complaints from fellow competitors. However I'm 81 now & have been unable to compete over the past 8 years so maybe
My eye doctor once stated that he could do a similar prescription correction with my eyeglasses but the cost was pretty steep so I've stuck with my inexpensive prescription & provided a few of the same to friends who also had eyesight issues.
I'm 81 now & have been unable to compete over the past 8 years, maybe rules on those with impaired vision have changed ?

Back