• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What to buy next???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Meyer

40 Cal
Reaction score
My son and I were both bitten hard by the blackpowder bug a couple years ago, and have been building a little collection of BP guns. So far, we have:

-2 scoped CVA inlines
-I have a .50cal percussion Hawken
-I have a .50cal flintlock TN Mtn rifle
-He has a handbuilt .54cal flintlock KY rifle
-He has a .62 cal flintlock smoothbore pistol

I'm ALWAYS saving my my next gun. But, what to get? Im thinking either a small cal flintlock longrifle, like a .36cal. Something suitable for small game hunting. Or a smoothbore flintlock, like a Fusil or trade gun or Fowler I could use as a shotgun. Or maybe a .50cal Hawken type percussion pistol. Or???????? My mind is not made up! Help me spend money(in my head) that i dont even have yet!

Ben, I think you’re thinking out loud my friend! LOL.

Sounds like both you and your son have been bitten by the black powder bug like most of us here.

I wouldn’t even dream of coaxing you into getting any of the muzzleloader’s that you’ve already mentioned? I can guarantee that you’ll end up with anything that crosses your mind my friend. That’s the nature of our disease! LOL.

The only advice that I will give from one addict to another, is to do your homework and ask plenty of questions?

Don’t jump the gun on an impulsive buy! Make up your mind and do your research before committing to any particular one or type my friend.

I definitely don’t want to sound like I’m preaching or lecturing. Just one of us that’s been there done that!

In closing: You’ll eventually own everything you’ve mentioned above and more. It’s an affliction. Ask questions, research, and avoid impulsiveness!!

Respectfully, Cowboy

My son and I were both bitten hard by the blackpowder bug a couple years ago, and have been building a little collection of BP guns. So far, we have:

-2 scoped CVA inlines

I'm ALWAYS saving my my next gun. But, what to get? Im thinking either a small cal flintlock longrifle, like a .36cal. Something suitable for small game hunting. Or a smoothbore flintlock, like a Fusil or trade gun or Fowler I could use as a shotgun. Or maybe a .50cal Hawken type percussion pistol. Or???????? My mind is not made up! Help me spend money(in my head) that i dont even have yet!

Ben,
Everyone has different choices for their collection. Here are some thoughts to consider with the ones you have already expressed. A nice 44 Remington revolver, a underhammer percussion in 36 cal (your small game hunting), a 58 cal musket, or a shotgun in either single or double barrel. Any of my suggestions will broaden your knowledge of the blackpowder experience.
Flintlocklar:D

Ultimately it will have to be what you want.

I think based on the variety of what you want to do and what you have, a 20 gauge smooth bored fowler would fit right nicely with the guns you have. Choices there get to be almost as diverse as calibers. I like the Carolina style trade guns. Get the book, "Flintlock Fowlers" by Grinslade. That will either solidify your choice or make it more confusing.

What is the major difference, in terms of utility the main differences between a Fowler, a smoothbore and a BP shotgun? Isnt a fowling rifle smoothbore? The ones I've seen look like a KY rifle. Is there anything one could do with a fowler that one couldn't do with a smoothbore trade gun or Fusil type? You could shoot patched roundball or shot out of both, right? I'm assuming a BP shotgun doesn't have rifle sights, maybe has a thinner barrel. Am I wrong?

I'm not really a "collector." But I like to have all my bases covered. If I could shoot both PRB and shot out of a single gun equally well, itd be multi function. Plus, itd be better for reenacting(easier to clean than a rifle) and easier to load, period.

I somewhat misspoke. I should have said a fowling gun. A fowling gun is a smoothbore. There is such a gun as a smooth rifle, which is a smooth bored gun built along rifle architecture with tie like sights. The utility of a fowling gun is the flexibility to use shot or ball. Its lighter than a rifle. Since you are short on funds, get the book.

A smooth rifle as said above is built on a rifle frame. It tends to be heavier then a fowling gun. It’s not as quick to swing if your shooting the flying or small running animals. Most have a rear sight.
A fusil or fowling gun can shoot ball well and can be fitted with a rear sight, between the two it’s the most useful... but I like my smooth rifle.
No matter what your next gun is you will want another after that.
We’re always looking for our next fix.

If you are looking for a smoothbore for shooting wing game in a tradiontial manner go for an ORIGINAL sxs or single in 12 to 16 bore keep off the repro because most are not original with the screw in chokes etc and poor workmanship .
Feltwad

If I could shoot both PRB and shot out of a single gun equally well, itd be multi function.

You are correct, it is multi function. I have a 20 ga. french fusil trade gun, and I have taken bear, deer, turkey, squirrel, rabbit, quail, chukar, duck, and woodchuck with it. I have also used it for reenacting. If you get something similar, you will not be disappointed.

You have the general waterfront covered now as to game-intended pieces, with the exception of a dedicated fowling piece, or maybe small caliber. After that, you are going to get in to specialized items, with very long, or very short barrels, heavy barrels, locks other that flint or cap, dedicated target guns, military facsimiles (or originals), European sporting guns, etc. Further and further out of the main stream, which will put you in to the custom realm, upping the "cool factor" even more.

I'm going to post my 12 gauge halfstock fowler for sale in a bit. It's a good flintlock for toting around the woods.

-2 scoped CVA inlines

check the minimal caliber for the State you hunt in.
Sm

Latest posts

Back