• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What the heck is this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob McBride

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I’ve posted this on ALR a few years ago and got a few ideas of what the story might be but I’d love to hear any thoughts you guys may have.

FF449ADE-FE21-4687-853A-5254F0C26122.jpeg
5CB03DDD-2433-4A04-BA25-9F52AE01B20D.jpeg

Unusual, I see an external mainspring working on the toe of the hammer and a trigger spring attached to the rear of the trigger guard. It looks like the nose of the trigger may directly engage a notch on the hammer like a revolver. Missing a nipple? The guard is secured by three screws, the larger of which serves as the hammer pivot. The middle one is the pivot for the trigger. The trigger guard seems to serve as the bridle. A simple and very interesting lock. Do you have photos of the entire gun?

Last edited:
Cocking lever, wonder if the weapon was built for someone who may have had a accident that injured their hand or perhaps thumb.

You want to know who made it and why, correct?

The maker whoever it was is now resting with a smile. A satisfied man.

Neat, I want one!

I dug through my pics and these two were all I could find. It seems the rest was a traditionally built full stock. The consensus last time was some sort of hand injury or malformation. It was purpose built obviously as there was no trigger inlet.

It certainly would make for a stronger stock in the wrist area. I don’t think this was made for a disabled person. More of a simpler way to manufacture a percussion lock?

It seems to me one thing is certain and that’s that a normal hand and arm either left or right can’t fire this thing comfortably with a traditional wrist grip. I also seem to see wear on the back of the TG which could indicate pinch shooting (squeezing the trigger and back of the trigger guard together with thumb and trigger finger).

To me it looks like a shining example of ingenuity and a can do attitude. A guy took a pile of parts and parts of an old rifle and made somethin’ functional if not asthetically pleasing.

Perhaps the gun was built for a special purpose, but I don't think it was built for someone who was handicapped. If it was built for someone handicapped, the gun would likely have been modified from an existing gun.
This one was purposely built, and I cant' envision the handicap necessary for such a build that wouldn't also interfere with loading.

Saves on a lot of woodworking. no trigger, trigger guard or lock to deeply inlet.

Back