• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What style rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What style/configuration would make a nice, light .36 cal. squirrel gun? Planning on using a 3/4" octagon barrel. Or maybe a swamped barrel. Any input would be appreciated!

My favorite , quick to build , rifle has a 3/4 " oct. x .40 x 38" barrel. A dream to carry and is very accurate. Owned same rifle in .36 percussion. Also , very accurate and a good solid small game rifle. While I build fancy rifles for folks , due to my hardscrabble beginnings, still favor back woods conservative m/l style guns. Uncovered grease /patch holes in the stock , single triggers , iron to protect the toe of the butt stock , maybe a muzzle cap , or not , maybe an entry r/r pipe , or not. Next hardscrabble gun will probably be using ultra lite horse chestnut for wood Gettin' old sucks , if it makes the opportunity to keep shootin' w/o heavy rifles , I say go for it..........oldwood

I'm in the same position. I have two .50 Lancasters to build and a 24 gauge fowler, but after that, I'll be using a 13/16" old stock Getz .36 barrel that I'd like to turn into a light squirrel rifle. My thoughts are to have someone mill it from octagon to round and considerably lighten it and I was leaning towards a TN or an "Appalachian" style of gun.

What do you like?
Under hammers are good clean guns, but not very pretty in my opinion, but that’s just taste.
SMR are to my eye about the best looking style of guns, but Ohio style is pretty easy on the eyes.
Late federal Pennsylvanian are just gorgeous.
Mao many guns so little time(and cash)

Well, I have a SMR in .45 cal., A Tennessee in .40 cal. which I'm going to stain tomorrow. I think that a SMR poor boy would be the ticket for the .36 cal. rifle. Hmmmmm . . . maybe cherry for the stock? Walnut? I'm going to have to mull this over. Mulling is good.

I’ve never approached a build that way, wondering what style to build around a specific caliber or barrel. But I’m a history fan and so usually build around a story in my head.
As noted above the choices are many so long as it’s a late flint period or percussion build with a narrow buttplate. A barrel that narrow won’t do well on anything pre-1810 or so.

I've been studying Ohio rifles for a while -- not an expert, just a student -- and if I had that barrel
I'd build an Ohio half-stock. Ohio rifles can be as plain as dirt, but it seems most were pretty classy. Just to be different, I'd use a back action lock, which was fairly common on Ohio rifles. Who needs another cookie cutter smr anyway?

Look online at the Association of Ohio Longrifle Collectors newsletters in pdf format. You'll never get through them without finding some inspiration.

I pondered the same thing earlier this year. I already had an smr in .32 so I built a lehigh barn gun in .36 with a rice A weight 38" barrel. Super slim and weighs just over 6#s

In Squirrel hunting oft times you are shooting up into the tree. For that I like a buttplate that has some good arch to it. There are many styles that fulfill that requirement for me, SMR and Ohio type rifles are two. I made a Vincent and a SWR, both in .36 and both accurate enough for head shots. So really it comes down to what style you prefer.
Robby

I kind of like my 36 caliber SMR. No idea of who made it or who made the barrel. It does have an L&R Manton lock. I do think it was made in the late 1970's or 1980's based on a late flint 1820's SMR. I have shot groups from the bench at 25 yards that can be completely covered by a quarter. Accurate enough, I think.

1607009370168.png

A nice Ohio Vincent half stock rifle in 36 is a good choice too.

I agree with others and go with a SMR type rifle. I recently picked up this .40 SMR type barn gun stocked in beech and is my favorite SMR style rifle I have owned and I have had many but this one shoulders the most natural and has been the easiest for me to shoot accurate

Attachments

• 22275F6C-ED77-48C9-812C-307441024692.jpeg
    22275F6C-ED77-48C9-812C-307441024692.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 135
  • 736A5943-587D-4B5B-93A1-29A3390F8F1E.jpeg
    736A5943-587D-4B5B-93A1-29A3390F8F1E.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 132
Back