• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What style bag for Kentucky rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about any will work. There are so many styles you can take your pick and be correct. Homemade deer skin or professionally made are both correct. A stitched up piece of blanket is just as correct as a professionally stitched and embossed masterpiece.

My bags, top is based on a photograph without any province, the other is an adaptation of an eighteenth century belt bag with shoulder straps added
6ABD73B8-FC13-4679-AF3D-D3CABC01D2DA.jpeg
C4E0FBC1-2F94-49DA-B630-5E477C7F7A82.jpeg
DF313F57-2988-4734-A7F1-1EFA4F1E6ACD.jpeg
AEDC4FC1-524C-4C3B-BF91-34AFDF31EE21.jpeg

Here's one I made for myself almost 30 years ago. It's somewhat different from what most people use, I like to have all my accessories attached to the bag. The powder horn, measure, and primer all attach to the main strap via cinch rings. When I'm not shooting everything is in the bag, when I'm shooting a match from the bag the measure and primer hang outside on the left and right, the ball bag hangs from the lower ring to the back of the main bag. Everything is handy and can't be dropped, the only thing I need from the bag is a patch. I also have some additional straps at the bottom I use as game carriers.

Attachments

• IMGP0713.JPG
    IMGP0713.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMGP0714.JPG
    IMGP0714.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 101
  • IMGP0715.JPG
    IMGP0715.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMGP0716.JPG
    IMGP0716.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMGP0717.JPG
    IMGP0717.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 99
  • IMGP0719.JPG
    IMGP0719.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 98
I should think style is less important than craftsmanship in this case. Much of the original shooting equipment I’ve seen from the Kentucky/southern Indiana area was homemade and, being a fairly poor area at the time, things were pressed into service probably longer than they should have been. Most things I was able to find had lots of wear and repairs evident, showing very long service. Just a thought.
All that said, I think every rifle deserves a lovely bag/ horn combo to keep it company.

I should think style is less important than craftsmanship in this case. Much of the original shooting equipment I’ve seen from the Kentucky/southern Indiana area was homemade and, being a fairly poor area at the time, things were pressed into service probably longer than they should have been. Most things I was able to find had lots of wear and repairs evident, showing very long service. Just a thought.
All that said, I think every rifle deserves a lovely bag/ horn combo to keep it company.
But, they weren’t sloppy. Even home made was not crude. Maybe patched and frayed but started out well done. Stay away from bushcraft.
Keep in mind that bags tended to be small, but big is known. Your bag is not a shooting box, don’t pack it if you don’t need it regularly to shoot

Absolutely true, and sloppy was not at all what I meant to imply. I was meaning more that the originals I have seen could be described as basic or plain, and were mostly unembellished. A case of form following function.

Poor in quality and craftsmanship but high in utility and quite substantial, these two small shooting bags with day horns attached are my most used ones that I made years ago. The other two bags I have were gifts and look much better than these. I don't need large bags or horns. Bags in the 6" to 7" range are plenty large for my use.
PICT0685.jpg

Back