What sort of early season(warm) shirt would work for huntin in the next few weeks?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

DStovall

36 Cl.
Reaction score
All I see online is white work shirts and don’t think that’ll work. Does anyone know where to get anything for warm weather that’s not bright white? What do you guys wear for early season hunting? I’m not doing reinactment “per se” so it doesn’t need to be a certain period, but I would like to keep the spirit of the 1800s alive with me when hunting this year.

ghostdncr

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've had good luck with a shirt of this pattern and style. Seems to blend into the forest dapple well enough for the squirrels around here to tolerate: Check Cotton Workshirt

A walnut dye bath would help muddy it up a bit, should the game in your area be particularly skittish...

Old Hawkeye

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just dye the shirt whatever color you want. Tye dying gives a "camo" pattern!

sheriff john

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Wash the shirt first to remove sizing chemical. Get some walnuts with hulls still on. Boil in water overnight (or as long as you wish), just don't let the water boil off. Swirl the "stew" with a stick every now and then, kinda/sorta smash up the walnuts. Rinse twice in a bucket of clean water and air dry outside. If it's cotton, you'll have an authentic shirt. If it's not all cotton ..results vary.

Daughter does natural dyes, uses various woodsy stuff. Osage orange bark, goldenrod, some mushrooms, flowers, leaves, etc. Last project was a tent. Wear rubber gloves.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I would do what sheriff john says with a $40.00 shirt from Samson Historical. Brian
Agreed.
Depending on how fast they can get the Men's Shirt to you.

IF you are really pressed for time, get a package of RIT brand brown Dye, and a cup of kosher salt. It is after all, only a hunting shirt and you are buying a machine shirt of cotton, so the PC Gods shall not be that much more offended. ;)

The only caveat is that when you add the dye to the hot water in the top loading washer, you hold the package under the surface of the water, and then tear it open. Wear gloves. Stray particles of fine powder from the package otherwise goes everywhere, and it IS a dye, so...., the Kosher salt helps the dye stick to the shirt. Add the salt right after you dissolve the dye. Then add the shirt.

After you're done, you have to run a second wash cycle in an empty machine to be sure to rinse out any leftover dye.

LD

mushka

36 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I just wear some kind of green n white or brown n white or black plaid shirt, a tight plaid not broad plaid. Get them cheap on sale at Pennies or sears or come comparable type store. I don't spend money on camo stuff.

DStovall

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Agreed.
Depending on how fast they can get the Men's Shirt to you.

IF you are really pressed for time, get a package of RIT brand brown Dye, and a cup of kosher salt. It is after all, only a hunting shirt and you are buying a machine shirt of cotton, so the PC Gods shall not be that much more offended. ;)

The only caveat is that when you add the dye to the hot water in the top loading washer, you hold the package under the surface of the water, and then tear it open. Wear gloves. Stray particles of fine powder from the package otherwise goes everywhere, and it IS a dye, so...., the Kosher salt helps the dye stick to the shirt. Add the salt right after you dissolve the dye. Then add the shirt.

After you're done, you have to run a second wash cycle in an empty machine to be sure to rinse out any leftover dye.

LD
Not sure if I’m brave enough to dye anything in the washing machine

Brokennock

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Samson historical has some good prices, but, some history/suspicion of some sketchy business practices.
Try Kathy Ring at Cobb Creek, she is wonderful to deal with. Customer service is second to none. Clothing is made here in the USA.

Not difficult to get some earthiness to a white shirt. Walnut hulls as mentioned, tea (I would use distilled water to help prevent mold which I have had happen in some expirements with using tea as a dye), sumac berries with some alum as a mordant will give a grayish earthtone.
Here's the thing. If you try to dress period at all, some temperature discomfort is to be expected. It is just part of the experience, and a reminder of how our forebears lived. 1800s you should be able to emulate and stay a little cooler than 1700s.

Eterry

62 Cal.
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Between Red River Station and Doans Crossing, Tx.
Does it have to be kosher?
I met a guy who works for the salt mine in Grand Saline, Tx. He said every year they clear off a huge section of the mine and a Rabbi arrives and blesses the salt. They mark the area off with spray paint and it is Kosher salt. Everything else in the mine isn't. I didn't ask him how deep in the mine the blessing went.

Daveboone

40 Cal
Reaction score
Dstovall...Where are you at?
Here in Northern NY, ML season opens in two weeks. We can certainly have heavy frost (snow unlikely, but not unheard of). My favorite outfit for still/stand hunting is a light pair of long underwear for cool mornings, with a light wool pair of pants over. Quiet and warm. I shop the thrift stores and Ebay. Surprising what you can find. Up top, long johns appropriate to the weather, (or quick dry dark colored Tshirt for warm or woods wandering) under a light wool plaid shirt. All of mine are second hand, I have a Woolrich Jacshirt I wear for an outer garment, but have a heavier wool coat if needed.

.36Rooster

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I like flannels and plaid, preferably greens and light browns, and wool based, although cotton works fine when its warm.

Latest posts