• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What size patches and balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Perryman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Roundball,

What size patches and balls are you shooting in your TC flintlocks with the RB barrels?

I've tried shooting .495 balls and .015 patches in my 50 cal and I'm getting blown patches. I switched to .020 patches and no blow-thru, but my accuracy doesn't appear to be any better. I didn't have any .018 patches with me at the time. Also, it's hard loading with the .020 patches.

Also, have yiou tried the new Goex Express powder??

Gene

Details Man ...we need details! :hmm:

What powder charge are you using?
How many grains?
Is the bore in good shape?

You can also check the archives of this forum as questions similiar to yours are asked about every 3 days

bpb

try picking up some pillow ticking from wal-mart....it's usely .018 or T/C prelubed ticking patches in .018 :v .............bob

Try a .50 cal. Wonder Wad or any prelubed fiber wad under your patched ball. Even about 20 grains of corn meal on top of your powder charge may work. This will stop your patches from burning through. Just another option. Let us know how it turns out.

Gene:
i use a .490 ball and .018 patches lubed with Bore Butter. 80 gr FF for the charge. I have never had burn thru.

snagg

Gene Perryman said:
Roundball,

What size patches and balls are you shooting in your TC flintlocks with the RB barrels?

I've tried shooting .495 balls and .015 patches in my 50 cal and I'm getting blown patches. I switched to .020 patches and no blow-thru, but my accuracy doesn't appear to be any better. I didn't have any .018 patches with me at the time. Also, it's hard loading with the .020 patches.

Also, have yiou tried the new Goex Express powder??

Gene
I use .010" under bore size balls (.440/.490/.530/.570/.600) with .018" pillow ticking.

Also, you didn't mention the powder...but if I'm using large charges of a hot powder like Goex 3F, I use an Oxyoke wonderwad as a firewall to protect the patch.

No, haven't tried Goex Express...regular Goex is outstanding for me...the only difference I'd see after shooting a case of Swiss or Goex Express would be a lot less money in my wallet. :grin:

I'm shooting 50 grns Goex 2F.

I've tried .490 balls with .015, .018. and .020 patches and it blows thru. I've only shot about 100 rounds thru the barrel (the bore looks and feels smooth) maybe it will change after a couple hundred rounds. It'll shoot .500 balls and .015 patches, but you have to drive the balls down the barrel.

Gene

Gene Perryman said:
I'm shooting 50 grns Goex 2F.

I've tried .490 balls with .015, .018. and .020 patches and it blows thru. I've only shot about 100 rounds thru the barrel (the bore looks and feels smooth) maybe it will change after a couple hundred rounds. It'll shoot .500 balls and .015 patches, but you have to drive the balls down the barrel.
Gene
I'm surprised to hear it's happening with only 50grns 2F...that's just a powder puff plinking load...is it a new barrel or just new to you?

Gene: Put some corn meal- 20 grains by volume- on top of the powder and under the PRB to protect your patch. The meal will seal the bore well, so that no gas escapes and travels up the grooves past the patch and ball. Are the balls you are using pure lead? If not that can explain the blown patches, too. The corn meal also scrapes any crud in the grooves out in front of it, so that your gun remains one shot dirty, and doesn't get dirtier than that.

Measure the bore and groove diameters of your barrel with a caliper. Its the only way to know what size ball to use, and what size patch to use. The patch thickness should be close to the dept of the groove measure from the bore, or top of the lands, to the bottom of the grooves. If the the caliber is .50, and the land diameter( bore) is .500, then use a ball that is .10 less in diameter than the bore diameter, or that .490 ball you are using. If the grooves are .010-.,012 deep, you will need a cloth patch that is .012 to .015 thick when compressed. Use a caliper or micrometer to measure the patch thickness. Always lube the patch thoroughly before leaving for the range, so that the lube will sink in fully into the fabric. You can't use too much lube. You can always wipe the excess off.

It's a new TC 50 cal. RB barrel. I'm using Hornady .490 and .495 RBs. The patches are TC and Oxyoke prelubed. I have used TC wads and they do work, but they're expensive. I have also used two patches. First a .015 patch down on the load and then a .495 ball and .015 patch. It works too, but again more expensive and an extra step.

Gene

TC builds their .50cal barrels to use nominal size balls (.490) and .018" pillow ticking...if a mere 50grns of 2F is causing those problems something is wrong with the barrel...I'd send it back to Fox Ridge and have them replace it.
Call 800-243-4570, option #3, ask for Ms. Rae DesRosiers

Roundball,

I talked to TC this afternoon and there recommendation: bigger balls and thicker patches!!??

Gene

Gene Perryman said:
Roundball,

I talked to TC this afternoon and there recommendation: bigger balls and thicker patches!!??

Gene
That's always the risk when calling TC ahead of time...there's a couple of attitudes in the repair dept. that you'd swear pay for service work out of their own pocket and their first response is to always try and put it back on the customer.

IMO, if a TC barrel acts like yours acts when you've already tried large balls & thick patches with only 50grns of 2F, it is not a ball & patch issue...I wouldn't have a barrel that acted like that...my .02 cents

Back