• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what sight was on this originally?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Sweeney

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have recently acquired an interesting muzzleloader that I'm trying to research, specifically as to what sort of sights were on it.
I will post some pictures as soon as I get photobucket to like me.

the gun is a NY-style late ML era halfstock. It is a well-made piece, with a Remington Cast Steel barrel and a R. Ashmore adjustable trigger weight lock. No gunmaker's name is evident.

When I got it, it had Lyman tang sight/globe front sight added to it, and was reportedly used for target shooting at an upstate NY club into the 1930's.

I'm curious as to the sights that might have been on it when made. There's a very shallow, very narrow dove tail up front, but no dovetail in the rear. Instead, there are two threaded holes(about #4) that are 4 inches apart. I was thinking maybe there was some sort of tube sight on it, but I've never seen one with that sort of mounting - any ideas? guesses?

Our best bet to really help will be to wait for the photos. The gun's true style and configuration will make helpful hints more so. Not too sure about the double holes for a rear sight, but the photos will help.

Could have been an early "telescopic" sight but could have simply been a long rear adjustable sight as found on many target guns.

The one pictured does have a dovetail bar at the rear (it's a modern recreation) with the pivot screw up front.

The distance between the bar and pivot screw is 4 1/4". If the bar was also screwed into the barrel it would have about the spacing you see on your barrel between the two holes.

longsights_zps55f93c42.jpg

That is odd. Can you tell if the holes are threaded? You might even try a couple modern screws, if threaded, to see actual size & twit...might be useful info. If you do, just go slow and gentle! :wink: :thumbsup:

MadSweeney said:
Here's some pictures

The two wide spaced screw holes were possibly used with something like this
P1030181.jpg

This is one a numerous versions of this sight.

An overall view would be useful.
Many rifles were reworked and restocked in the 1920s and 30s to make shooters.

Dan

Latest posts

Back