• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what scope mount for tc hawkens

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10_point

50 cal
Reaction score
Getting a rebore from Bobby Hoyt. 50 cal to 54 cal, and want to make it my deer gun, but the eyes are getting bad, would like to mount a scope to it and see better, ilooked on internet and find no info or part available. i have rear sight removed and would like a mount to use the holes .

I scoped a TC back in the 70s, back then TC sold a long eye relief pistol scope and mount that fit the existing holes, I found it really awkward to use.

The rear sight holes are too far forward for a conventional scope mount, that is why you see so many TCs drilled for Weaver type mount.

Every time I see a TC barrel drilled for a scope mount I pass on it, no telling who drilled them or how deep they go, they could go almost into the bore.

I just did a restore on a TC, I have 74 year old eyes and the rear sight is a blur for me, I have put a peep on the flint long rifle I made, using it I can shoot like a teenager again. I am considering a Williams Adjustable peep for my TC overhaul, because of the hole spacing I will have to drill and tap another hole in the tang to mount this sight.

I made this for my longrifle, but will go with a factory sight for my TC. I did put fiber optics on my other TC Hawkens, they work well but are still a little blurry for me.

peep done mounted.JPG

If you plan to use a pistol scope about any flat-bottomed mount will work. use one existing hole & drill another to match the other hole. If you want it back closer to your eye you'll have to look around for one of the TC mounts that used the rear sight holes and the hole at the very end of the barrel next to the tang. They offset the scope to the left so you don't have to bend the hammer. TC no longer makes them but they can sometimes be found on evil-bay. You could also put a 'want to buy' ad here. A third option would be one of those extra-long scope mount blanks long enough to cover from front holes to the back hole & drill holes to match. This will likely cause you to have to bend the hammer

Having my eyes go south has been a major pain.
I'm a flintlock kinda guy but this is my scary black rifle fun gun.
The stock is actually wood but was painted at the factory. Go figger. 🤪
Deerhunter.jpg

Those are UTG universal clamps with an octagonal interior configuration and slotted picatinny rail on top.
To mount that way on a TC the easiest thing to do is just drop off the under barrel rib. Or, find a spare parts rib and take a hack saw to it.

I mounted a scope on a hawken style rifle by machining a thin plate angled on the edges with hole drilled at the proper locations to mount in the origonal holes.I used it for bench shooting but found it not useful for offhand shooting.

Had same problem as you. I ended up using JB Weld and epoxying 2 Weaver mounts to barrel. Am using a Scout pistol scope with 9" eye relief. Found where the scope had to be and got the mounts exactly where I needed them. After 100 shots it's still anchored. At that distance if the epoxy lets go the scope will tumble off - not come back in your face. The added advantage of the long eye relief scope is that you can easily see around it. Picture below. Not traditional looking but it keeps me in the game at my old age.

Last edited:
A feller on Graybeard's has some Bushnell 2.5x long eye relief scopes that have the built-in rail on the bottom and I think he said he has the mounts too. Mounts might be for round barrels but would be pretty easy to file flat.

I have one tapped for weaver mounts. We had to modify the hammer too, to clear the rear bell or something on the scope.

A mate simply had shallow grooves milled into the barrel for dovetail mounts. Seems pretty logical to me

I am considering a Williams Adjustable peep for my TC overhaul, because of the hole spacing I will have to drill and tap another hole in the tang to mount this sight.
I did this on my TC Hawken...works like a charm! You won't regret it. It certainly doesn't look traditional, but if what you want is hunting accuracy for old eyes, it will get the job done.

Edit: Mine is a Lyman sight now that I think about it, but they are very similar. This happened to be the one that was available at the time.

Last edited:
10 point here is the mount you need they are getting hard to find, i used and bought several of these and do have one mounted on a tc black mouintain magnum. by all means if your eyes are getting bad scope it. i caught some flack over it but i took the hits and kept hunting. i do use peeps but i am sure ill mount on on my tc white mountain magnum again. i went with high rings on one and extra high on another. put black tape under your scope to prevent the black powder from cortroding it. it is slightly offset to the left im a lefty and shoot right handed muzzleloaders.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195186668562?hash=item2d72083412:g:kM0AAOSwXJRiwF9B

Back