• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What revolver to buy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Long Johns Wolf

Many thanks for the URL. Very intersting.

I go for that particular revolver.
To say otherwise it is decided.

:wink: :grin:

:rotf: It is going to happen; I hope so.

:surrender: finance minister says :nono: but :shake: want last for ever, question is how long to wait. :haha:

Not this year and next year but than ....

That is the new "baby" with reworked grip:

IMGP0066.jpg

IMGP0067.jpg

IMGP0068.jpg

If anything goes well, I'll take it to the range this week, trying 20 grain of Swiss Nr. 2 with .454 rb.

Just be careful loading only 20 grains of powder! My son and I broke the last "tooth" on the loading lever using 20 grains, a wonder-wad and a .454 ball. You might want to use some filler on top of the powder to bring the level of the charge up so that the end of the ball isn't half-way down the chamber when the ball is fully seated. This particular model gun has a loading lever with a "short throw". What I've done with other '60 Army Colts is to use 25 grains of 3Fg Goex, and the aiming point is the traditional bottom of the black bulls-eye at 25 yards.

Your mileage may vary! Good luck and enjoy her! :thumbsup:

Dave

You mentioned target shooting. Get an Old Army, install one of Jim Clark's replacement rear sights, Pachmayr grips and get an adjustable over travel rod.

20 gr FFg and equal amt of cream of wheat filler. .457 ball covered with patch lube. 100-5X or better is possible @ 25yd. Best I've done in a match is 97-5X but the eyes are gettin old.

@flint

The rules for target (competition) shooting require traditional sights, grips and so on.

Adjustable sights would be great for my eyes
but not on this one as it is a collectible
replica by FAULT.

It has to do as it is.

I have to experience, where I hit with that Colt and try to adjust.

@ smokin

I forgot to write, that I will use about the same volume of "Gries" above the powder as filler. Just to have the bullet seated under the rimm of the cylinder. Additional above the bullet some lube.

Maybe I use the external loader though it is less convenient with such a modell.

Go by the rules by all means.

I've never been to a match that required revolver to be period or non adjustable sights. Won't go either as they seem more interested in their idea of what ought to have been than what was and than who can shoot the best.

TC

@ all

Have shot her today on the range 25m.

Great fun to shoot with her. Gentle trigger and feesl god in the hand.

Starting load 20 grain Swiss Nr. with ten grain Gries and a .454 rb. I expected to shoot high but was very surprised to find that I the balls went low.

I used the ISSF 100m 10 Ring paper target, aiming just below the 7, last black ring and she shot were rigth and low at 5 about at 4 o'clock. Very unusual that I shoot low with a weapon and standard sights.

Changed to 10 grain Swiss Nr. 2 and 20 grain Gries. Less recoil, awful holes in the paper.
Same aiming point, them hit area.

Will try next time 15 grain Swiss Nr.2 and 20 grain Gries. May be use a thin filler cut from a "Bierdeckel" between powder and Gries.

I just picked up a 5 1/2" barreled Uberti Army (.44)Remington by Cimmarron. They smoothed out the action, and proofed the barrel and the cylinder. The fit and finish is great.
A great choice if your doing both cartridge and black powder. I picked this up mostly to use with a Kurst conversion cylinder.--- Now to go out and buy one of them wierd Remington revolving carbines sometime in the future(opps thats a long gun not a pistol).

I wonna buy a second revolver and yeah, want to aks for your recommendations and experience with differnet modells

I already have a Rogers & Spencer made by Neumann-Pietta in the middle eighties.

I fell into the strong conviction that I need a second revolver and that it should be a replica of one of the modells from Colt.

The octagonal barrel from the 1851 Navy whispers take me.

On the other hand, the Walker say take me.

Than the dragoons tipp on the shoulder, what is about us?

Only one revolver to buy. No more.

What purpose is the revolver intended for?
Well, must be good enough to do competiton at 25m and have a fair chance to get good groupos.

Shall be fun to shoot, easy to clean, good to maintain, lovely outlook without being overdone ..., most probably a replica by Uberti.

Thank you very much already now for your help and encouragment.
1851 Navy. Steel frame. .36 caliber.
The most classic of all the percussion revolvers.
Every serious percussion revolver enthusiast should have at least one.

1851 Navy or 1860 Colt Army. Either one points naturally.
They are great additions. The 1851 is classic and costs
less to shoot. You cannot lose on them. On youtube you
have Blackie Thomas and Duelist 1954 for in-depth
maintenance and performance tips--as well as top info
here on forum.

I own both Uberti and Pietta 1860s but my all around favorite is my 1858 Uberti because of the quick cylinder removal to load on a loading press, strength of the frame top strap and the bladed loading lever making it very strong to prevent bending out of shape.

Well, that's no secret.
I know because Erzengel is a good friend of mine.
As he mentioned a few years back Erzengel liberated a few Centaures over the last years ... and used them successfully in German and European CAS competitions ... both in C&B (and historical correct conversion configuration - sorry, but that is the truth).
Then he felt he should try something new.
He switched to Santa Barbara Remmy New Model 1863 Armies .... which he is now shooting most of the time ... (usually with custom made 2-piece 5-shot conversion cylinders in .45 Colt).
Long Johns Wolf

You mentioned target shooting. Get an Old Army, install one of Jim Clark's replacement rear sights, Pachmayr grips and get an adjustable over travel rod.

20 gr FFg and equal amt of cream of wheat filler. .457 ball covered with patch lube. 100-5X or better is possible @ 25yd. Best I've done in a match is 97-5X but the eyes are gettin old.
Those Pachmayrs made my Old Army shoot so much better, way tighter groups than spraying the target!

Latest posts

Back