• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRameySr

32 Cal
Reaction score
What's a good black powder? I have a T/C Hawken in .54 cal. I know to use FFG just wondering what a good trustworthy powder is.

Real black or substitute. Generally all the substitutes work well. Might just see if any are readily available in your area. I've used Pyrodex for many years because of availability. As far as ff or fff, you will just see how well it works out. Pyrodex has RS, rifle/shotgun and P, pistol. My experience with RS in up to 50 cal was periodic hang fire. I had a can of P for my revolvers so I tried it in my rifles and never had any hang fire since. The RS is comparatively ff. The P is fff. I have been using it in a new 58 cal with good results. I don't believe that ff or fff is really dead set in stone in rifles. Both measured by volume equally perform similarly and with all there will be some minor volume adjustments.
Always treat any of them as corrosive and clean immediately and thoroughly.

I like Goex as well. I use fffg for my .40, .45, .50 and .54 calibers. I think Swiss is cleaner, but costs more and I don't see enough benefit to spend $5 more. Pyrodex is often unreliable in wet weather. The substitutes are more hygroscopic, which really becomes a problem for some rifles.

Depends on what you're doing. I shoot Swiss. I started out with plain Goex but soon switched to Old Eynsford for accuracy reasons and from there to Swiss. Yeah it costs more, but it takes less powder to get the same result so the cost change isn't such an issue. Example, my normal musket load with Goex was 46g 3f. With Old E, it went down to 44f. With Swiss, it's 42f. Same point of impact, better accuracy, fouling much easier to deal with.

Your rifle was designed to utilize black powder. That would probably be the powder to start with. 3F or 2 in my TC .54 cal hawkin work equally well.

I have had several brands through the years. It all fired, but my favorite is amongst the above mentioned. I am not a perfectionist as to brands of powder. I do like real gun powder over synthetics.

Latest posts

Back