• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goex seems highly recommend here. I appreciate the suggestion & will go with Goex. Just wondering a good place to order it.

First, CONGRATULATIONS on your rifle!

-GOEX is American made, and in my opinion one should buy a can or two at least each year from them to ensure they are kept in business. You never know what sort of silliness you will see in the future regarding imported black powder.

-You might also look into 3Fg loadings for your rifle..., when this COVID-19 manure has settled down and it's available again.

-Graf & Son has less expensive powder they sell under their name. I like it, but it's imported. IF you're buying a lot of powder for a group, as I do for reenactment blanks, you may want to go with some 3Fg of the least expensive stuff.

-SWISS is excellent for the target shooters. GOEX Olde Eynsford is meant to compete with SWISS.

-And just FYI if you ever get a flinter, then real black powder is the only way to go for good ignition

-You may have to order several pounds of the stuff rom Graf & Son or PowderInc to reduce the overall cost per pound. The HazMat fee is usually a set fee of about $13.00, and often shipping is set too. So If all you order is one pound, and you ordered it from Graf & Son, that's like an extra $22.45 PLUS the cost of the single pound of powder. IF you buy 10 lbs. (most places let you mix and match) then you're only adding $2.25 to the cost of each pound. 😉

LD

I have shot Goex, and Swiss quite a bit until recently and had good experiences with both in several guns after working up appropriate loads. Goex was cheaper but Goex was cleaner and had a little more power. I started testing Goex Olde Eynsford a few weeks ago and have had excellent results. It shoots clean is comparable to Swiss power wise and is not much more expensive than standard Goex . I buy from Deer Creek Products and decided to invest in a full case. Went and picked it up since it was close by so no shipping or Hazmat. Swiss $525 a Case, Olde Eynsford $400 and Goex $375. Went with Olde Eynsford and am glad that I dont have to worry about powder for quite a while now. I got back into traditional guns heavily a couple of years ago and have gone through almost ten pounds of powder, Not as much as some but in mainly 32 and 36 caliber guns it equals a lot of rounds fired and even more enjoyment. If you can afford to and it is accpetable to do so in your area I would recommend buying your chosen powder by the case. I split mine 5 llbs 2F and 20 Lbs 3f but you can mix it up according to your needs.

Back