• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What pistol at 25 yards?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poordevil

50 Cal.
Reaction score
OK so not to highjack the other elk / pistol thread....Is there a pistol load combo that one would feel comfortable shooting an elk at 25 yards max? I think .58 cal and about 800-900 fps would do it. Or a .58 mini ball at a little less.

Let the fireworks begin!
P

How about a 20 ga. smoothbore Howda double with .600 balls going as fast as you could get them without damaging the stock? Pump the second round in for a better chance from the get-go...not saying it's legal or that the regs let you do it, but harvesting an elk with a hand gun isn't something one does every day....

Dave

Capper. You're thinking too hard. The question was 25 yards.

Also I did not say I would do anything. Read the question and play if you want to , or don't. Its OK

P

"Is there a pistol load combo that one would feel comfortable shooting an elk at 25 yards max?"
-----

Only if it was my only gun and I was starving to death.

.47 bore flintlock with rifling to take a 400 or so grain plain base. Lee makes a good mold like that. Round barrel, thick at the breech and tapered up front. Oh, and tape your wrist either before or after. :haha:

I have a Black Powder cartridge pistol that would take an elk in a heart beat out to 50 yds. I fired it once and couldn't write for a week. I paid $45.00 for a remington roller that had been cut down into a pistol with an 11 inch barrel. 43-77-385. (43 Spanish)

I thought so too at first. I did check with BATF before I bought it. Somwhere I have the date and name of the agent I called. It was about 1980. If the rules changed since then, I wasn't aware. At the time, the ammo wasn't available like it is now. It will shortly be rebarreled to a 45-90 rifle anyway. Guess I'll pull the barrel tommorrow and remove any question.

pistol for elk at 25 yards. .50 cal and above. Above being better for more ball weight. Must be a true killing boiler room hit with anything to do it right. Practice, practice, paractice.

"Is there a pistol load combo that one would feel comfortable shooting an elk at 25 yards max?"

Basicaly No, I am not a fan of ML pistols for big game hunting for the average hunters, range limitations and the descipline attached, lower whompum even at close range,and if you go to modern bullest whu botgher loading them from the front? not the same as period projectiles in a pistol, just potentialy to problematic IMHO.Good luck to those who try, but I sense a possible backlash of "ML's are inefficient" press as a result.

Terrifyingly NASTY!!! :rotf: :rotf:

Seriously, though... I can't think of a firearm I wouldn't be terrified to stare into the business end of! :youcrazy:

It's not a pleasant experience, but that .94 caliber hole would make it worse. Point being, if something like this isn't enough for large game at powder burn range, no available BP handgun is.

Ach du Lieber...Those look like a combination of Handgonne, 1/4 scale Naval Cannon, & Derringer...

E

Back