• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What paper do i use for cartridges?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idonthaveamusketyet:|

.50 caliber
Reaction score
im thinking about getting a flintlock and i wanted to know if the paper for cartridges matters. if so, what kind (normal printer, construction paper, ect)

What type of flintlock are you considering?

I recently learned to make cartridges from this video:

Mike found that, with the caliber balls he was using, heavy paper meant that the cartridge wouldn't load, so he went to a smaller caliber ball and newspaper.

There are a few other threads in this forum on this topic. I scanned then a while back, and I remember a wide variety of types of paper folks recommend.

I use this brand of newsprint, comes in big pads, I think mine is 14" or 18"x24 (basically newspaper size) so I can trace out and cut multiple blanks at a time. I get it from Michaels arts and crafts store.

Clipboard01.png

I like the paper that you sometimes find in new shoe boxes. Also the packing paper that comes in Amazon orders.

You can use newsprint...,

I go to The Dollar Store, and I buy a book with non-glossy paper. I use that. The paper is just a bit higher quality than newsprint, so it's more durable, but it's not like copier paper that is tougher and stiffer and thus harder to tear open with the teeth when loading my musket. I have gone in the past to the local library where they are selling off old paperbacks for a buck or two, and used those. The library gets money for new books, and I get to blow smoke with cartridges...win win.

LD

Latest posts

Back