• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what pan powder do you use?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was shooting my 62cal. jaeger flintlock today. I normally use 4f goex to prime it, I shoot 2f goex olde eynsford. today I tried the 2f in the pan. I did years ago but forgot the results. I also primed with the 4f for comparison. I could tell no difference at all in ignition, it was instant with both. I also use 3f to prime in my 40 and to shoot it with. what are yall's thoughts on the matter,,,,,,,,,,,,

I use 3Fg powder to prime with but I also use it for the main powder load.

Sometime back, Pletch did a study to determine how fast different powders light in the pan.
As I recall, he found there is a difference with Swiss Null B being the fastest, 4F next, 3Fg next and 2Fg last.

That said, the difference between the powders was only measurable in the hundredths of a second. Much too small of a time interval for mortal man to be able to see a difference.

Yes, there are times when there is an actual delay in the ignition of a flintlock that can be noticed but, these delays can happen with any granulation of powder.

At least, that's my take on the subject. :)

I prime with 4F Swiss, and it always seems faster to me. I carry a priming horn anyway, and the small grain powder flows better.

I have used 2f as prime several times when hunting though, and it always goes off ok.

Hey all, yes I think Ive posted before on this but I use pyrodex rifle that I run through a manual meat grinder to crush it up. That coupled with a frizzen for a taylor and company kentucky modified and mounted on a T/C lock I get good results.
Good for target shooting and hunting but it does cake up a little worse than black with continual shooting.
So pan and touch hole cleaning is more frequent than with old black.
Problem for me is nobody carries it in my area so I have to make do.

SM

I am an avid percussion shooter and a new flintlock shooter sort of. I was using 4f swiss. Just bought some null b and WOW is there a difference in ignition speed. No doubt about it very noticeable. Almost percussion like. Now you can mark that up to that I dont know what I am doing etc etc. I have tried quite a few different things to make my rifles ignite faster. Null B might be only a split second faster, but without a doubt I can tell it. I dont see the flash anymore, my accuracy has drastically improved for off hand shooting.

Fleener

I use the same 3f that I use for the main charge. Sometimes I use 4f at the range just to use up the pound of it that I bought before I knew I could use the 3f as prime.

I was shooting my 62cal. jaeger flintlock today. I normally use 4f goex to prime it, I shoot 2f goex olde eynsford. today I tried the 2f in the pan. I did years ago but forgot the results. I also primed with the 4f for comparison. I could tell no difference at all in ignition, it was instant with both. I also use 3f to prime in my 40 and to shoot it with. what are yall's thoughts on the matter,,,,,,,,,,,,

I prime with the same powder as the main charge. Simple & historic.

I prime with 4fg. Truthfully, the last time I ran out of 4fg, somebody gave me a pound of the stuff. So I use it because I have it. As soon as I do use up the current stock, I hope I can accidentally-on-purpose lose my priming horn.;)

I've always used 4F for prime as I had plenty of it and liked it. The times I primed with 3F resulted in the same speed of ignition, that as far as I could tell, seemed just as fast as 4F; even though my brain knew it was not.

being as im new to flinters I started out using 3f same as I was down the barrel. being a newbie im still not as consistant however switching to 4f in the pan has helped me alot

While I have primed with fffg, I carry a pan primer with ffffg in it. If its really damp, I might be inclined to prime with fffg, but it won't flow through the pan charger.

I run 3F in all my stuff usually, but have used 2F in the pan on my Fusil De Chasse on a damp squirrel hunt a while back. Down here in our humidity, and especially after a rain, keeping 4F lively in the pan is a losing battle. They all work. 2F is a touch slower and even more so if you put just the teensiest bit too much.

I've always used 4F for prime as I had plenty of it and liked it.

I had bad luck with 4Fg and even worse with 5Fg (elephant powder, now defunct). To confess, this was when I first started flintlocking, and the pan to frizzen seals were not so good on the rifles I had at the time, so either it spilled out, or absorbed moisture giving me a pan full of black goo. That's when I started using 3Fg for both and it was also when I started hunting with better locks on better rifles, and I was using 2Fg for my caplock shotgun and for the main charge in my Bess and Carbine when hunting. So since the horn had 3Fg, I started using it to prime my Bess and Carbine after loading the 2Fg main charge...and for mostly everything else.

LD

Latest posts

Back