• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what pan powder do you use?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always shot 2F in any rifle or smoothbore long gun over 40 cal and primed with 4F. Say what you want and choose what you want, but in my mind a lazy/low glow spark (they do happen) will ignite a smaller granule of powder faster/easier than a large one. If it is only a millisecond, I want that advantage.
Flintlocklar:)

I was shooting my 62cal. jaeger flintlock today. I normally use 4f goex to prime it, I shoot 2f goex olde eynsford. today I tried the 2f in the pan. I did years ago but forgot the results. I also primed with the 4f for comparison. I could tell no difference at all in ignition, it was instant with both. I also use 3f to prime in my 40 and to shoot it with. what are yall's thoughts on the matter,,,,,,,,,,,,
I keep things simple, same prime as the powder charge in my flintlocks, that would be 3f.

I was shooting my 62cal. jaeger flintlock today. I normally use 4f goex to prime it, I shoot 2f goex olde eynsford. today I tried the 2f in the pan. I did years ago but forgot the results. I also primed with the 4f for comparison. I could tell no difference at all in ignition, it was instant with both. I also use 3f to prime in my 40 and to shoot it with. what are yall's thoughts on the matter,,,,,,,,,,,,
I always use Swiss Null B. It's the finest of the priming powders available, and I don't have hang fire issues with it. It is a glazed powder, and it doesn't turn into soup in the pan. At least it never has for me.

I use 4f for priming. Never worried to much about "carrying an extra horn" as the priming horn I used made out of antler tine probably doesn't hold much over 100 grains of powder, and that will be enough for an awful lot of shooting.

I have only one flint gun, a 54 cal long rifle. Own cap guns too and shoot 3F in all of them. I prime the flint gun with 3F and it works ok for me. I am lazy and don't want to have to keep track of several different powders. One powder for everything from .32 to .54.

For many years I used 4F in the pan and 3F in my rifles, but the availability of 4F up here north of the 49th has become almost impossible to find. However I have not had any ignition problems just using 3F so I will stick to using it.

I use Swiss FFFFg, French FFFFg, Swiss OB primer, FFg or Muskett powder (low cost hunting powder too) depending on the weapon and the lock. That's not important if the sparks are good and with very small loks or extra big with larges flints, the primer will dépend of the use and the quality of the lock...

Yes 4F is my preference and the the main reason is the nice priming horn I've had for years. It will only work with 4F same as with the two brass thingies I own.
5ef46249-8073-452f-92b6-4aaa8c3949d2-zpsa430a117.jpg

Ffg in my .54 and .58 When I am hunting, the same Ffg goes in the pan - because it's dependable. At the range, I might use Ffffg in the pan - to use it up.

Richard/Grumpa

Regular fffg black powder in the pan and 5g of regular fffg as starter down the barrel followed by fffg-equivalent Pyrodex down the barrel as main charge. Works well in my .45 CVA.

I used 2F in my Baker rifle with no problems. I was loading from paper cartridges. I found it was more important to correctly bank the powder in the pan and have a good Black English flint then to worry about a separate grade of priming powder. I could tell no difference between 2F and 4F.

Often as not I'm shooting Jack's Battle in the pan and behind the ball. Once I start working up "accuracy" loads for the 1816 reckon it'll be two or three F's. There's accuracy loads to work up in a .52 bore fast twist Renegade too and I'll stick to FFg for that.

Latest posts

Back