• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what oil to use?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use on Slip2000 EWL inside and out on my 3 MLs and all my other rifles and pistols. Superb product, non-petroleum and penetrAtes Metal. Lil expensive but goes a long way and doesn’t deteriorate in my experience. Won’t use anything else

Did a quick check and seems most Lowe's keep Fluid Film in stock and some even tell you what aisle and bin it is in.

I have been a Barricade user for rust protection of firearms but I've just googled Fluid Film and I want to give it a trial, in place of barricade. It appears that Amazon has it listed. I'll use it in my ML'dr barrels as well.

Just ordered one 11.75oz. can at $13.77.

Last edited:
I manage a large inventory of centerfire assets that get run VERY hard on a daily basis in all conditions. When I say "VERY hard", you have no clue just how hard, .mil and LE Agencies don't even come close. I have used a wide variety of lubricants I keep coming back to two lubricants that have performed well, Slip 2000 EWL 30 and Mobil 1 5w30.
Both exhibit good shear strength, minimal carbon fouling and stay in place under harsh conditions. Clean up is good utilizing water based cleaners.

It's non-toxic, environmentally friendly, renewable and not made from petroleum. Great for longer term protection and harsher conditions.
Thought G96 was another highly refined petroleum product? Or are we talking about a different product?
upload_2019-4-22_17-16-35.jpeg

https://www.qcsupply.com/media/pdf/msds/140688_MSDS.pdf

Hmm, I wonder when they changed the formula but didn't change their website.
When the U.S. Navy needed to conquer the costs and delays of battling rust and corrosion in the ballast tanks of its thousands of combat and support vessels in World War II, an innovative West Coast chemist formulated a powerful weapon based on an unlikely ingredient: lanolin (wool wax).

The savings were immediate. The costs of chipping, sealing and painting were greatly reduced. The new film penetrated corrosion and rust quickly. Application was simple. Protective action was long lasting and economical.

The weapon was FLUID FILM®, produced in a variety of easy-use forms by Eureka Chemical Company. Operating since the early 1940’s and incorporated in 1953, the company continues as a family-owned business managed by descendants of the founding chemist.

From its first seagoing use in the 1940s, FLUID FILM® has been proved in some of the most severe conditions; Industrial, agricultural, raw-terrain construction – even on the space shuttle. Modified over time to adapt to environmental and application considerations, it’s non-toxic/non-hazardous.. FLUID FILM® continues to serve as the most effective corrosion control for industry, farming, industrial and transportation.

https://www.fluid-film.com/about/

Also check out the salt fog test results.
https://ihiqa2kjxfb4dhp9872la1cm-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/ff_brochure.pdf

Hmm, I wonder when they changed the formula but didn't change their website.

The MSDS, CAS registry, CDC, NIOSH, PubChem and other chemical databases are open to the public. You can find all the pertinent answers there.....

I'm not interested in gossip..... I prefer verifiable facts.
All that said,.....and I'm not looking for an argument....Just verifiable facts.

Laughter and sleep, two things that should be part of everyones "medicine chest". A nap should be part of that home remedy!

I really like Fluid Film.

I also have used for years and still do G96. I also have used tranny fluid. No issues with any of these.

Fleener
I second Fluid Film, I use it for all my guns even the closet queens that I never check. I also have my truck undercoated with it and use it as a hand lotion in the winter.

So what wrong with using a petroleum based product?

I don’t use one , I don’t think unless Barricade is petroleum based.

I don’t see that it really matters what anyone uses if it works for them then it’s the right stuff to use.

I know what Barricade will do in my dehumidified Safe in my neck of the the woods.

It might not work as well in a damp or out in a high humid environment and not in a dehumidified safe.

FYI, I do use denatured alcohol to remove any oil or film from the bore prior too shooting.

It works for me , others mileage may vary.

So what wrong with using a petroleum based product?

I don’t use one , I don’t think unless Barricade is petroleum based.

I don’t see that it really matters what anyone uses if it works for them then it’s the right stuff to use.

I know what Barricade will do in my dehumidified Safe in my neck of the the woods.

It might not work as well in a damp or out in a high humid environment and not in a dehumidified safe.

FYI, I do use denatured alcohol to remove any oil or film from the bore prior too shooting.

It works for me , others mileage may vary.
Most of the ‘experts’ state not to use petroleum based products in the bore, yet most of the products they suggest are petroleum based. Doesn’t mean they don’t work. They just happen to be made from petroleum. Here is info on Barricade.
upload_2019-4-28_22-49-22.png

Thanks for posting the MSDS or whatever they call it now. LOL

Great info! Now I have a valid excuse for my below par shooting.... I’m convinced now that using Barricade “ may “
have effected my central nervous system causing me too miss the target !

At least that’s my story and I’m sticking too it.. lol

Thanks for the info again, I’ve always used oil ( 3&1 ) in modern
gun bores .

When I started using Barricade, it was then called Sheath.

I’m still using it and will continue too. It works for me.

As I’ve stated in other post , I’ve had guns protected with Barricade stored in a dehumidified safe that the bores were just like they were when put away over 7 or 8 years before.

The only difference was instead of the Barricade being wet it had dried forming a protective coating in the bore which is easily removed with a couple of denatured alcohol patches prior too loading.

I've noticed that Barricade dries to the touch within 1/2 hour after it is applied leaving a very protective barrier against moisture or oxygen that could cause rusting. It's all I use in my guns and it works great.

As for removing the dried Barricade before I load one of my treated guns, I don't bother doing it.

The testing I did a number of years ago to see if petroleum oils create any hard fouling proved several things.

1. Wet petroleum oil will produce hard fouling when black powder is fired in its presence. (Notice the word "wet".)

2. Surfaces that had been well oiled with petroleum oil but then wiped clean with just a clean rag, did not react with burning black powder to create hard fouling.

The moral of the story is, if a person has protected their barrel with petroleum oil and they just wipe it clean, without using any alcohol or other solutions that would destroy the oil barrier, there is no danger of burning black powder making any hard fouling.

The fact that Barricade drys within a short time after it is applied, and the dry surface it leaves behind is the same or even less oily than a surface that has had any wet oil removed from it with a rag allows me to say, if you've protected your gun with Barricade, don't bother to remove it before you load. Removing it does nothing of any value.

If you have used a coating of wet petroleum oil, just wipe the surface dry with a clean rag and then load your gun and have fun shooting it. :)

Latest posts

Back