• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back at my camp. Spent the afternoon watering the vegetables after being gone a week and no rain. Then unpacked the Woodsrunner, the new trade gun supplies, and my new Lee lead pot. Gathered up French curves I already had and printed out samples of different designs while I was home. I’ve had the Quaker practice stock almost 6 months, so now it will get put to use. Bought several new Czech made chisels to add to my collection too. Have to spend a day or so bush hogging, then start some practice carving.

This should be good!

Yesterday I tried the homemade caps I made last week in my Pietta 1860 Sheriff which has stainless steel Slixshot nipples installed. My results were as follows:

6 caps to clear the nipples: All popped. I noticed they make less noise than CCI, Remington, or RWS caps.

6 shots loaded from paper cartridges with 25 grains of Scheutzen 3Fg BP: The first 3 went off OK but the next 3 popped but failed to set off the BP. I recapped those cylinder and none set off the powder. I recapped once more using RWS 1075+ caps and all 3 chambers went off.

They may work better with paper cartridges if I increase the amount of priming compound in each cap.

6 shots with 25 grains of Scheutzen loaded from a flask: All 6 went off properly.

6 shots with 25 grains of Triple 7 3Fg BP substitute, which has a higher ignition temp: All 6 went off properly.

The caps on shots with 25 grains of BP held together but flowed a little back into the safety notch in the hammer nose.

The caps on the Triple 7 loads all perforated but the skirts held together.

None of the caps fragmented and I had no jams. Some came off easily while others had to be pried off either with my fingers or pocketknife.

Overall, I consider the home made caps using the Prime-All compound a success for use in percussion revolvers and I'm sure they'd work fine in an underhammer. I need to test them in a sidelock rifle or pistol.

Rolling paper bottoms on the paper cartridges?

Shot smoothbore match this AM. Forgot my tin of patch lube so I lubed with the simple green I clean the bore with. Shot as well or better than the patch lube I have used for years. Makes you go HMMM.
I’ve used simple green for patch lube fo all my range shooting for years not. I first tried it for youth field day shoots and found it to be the bees knees. My guns don’t see a difference between it and Olive oil for hunting

Finally got the side plate inlet! Slow going. First build and I chose a highly decorated Jäger with much engraving and carving.

Have to always push myself! Maybe I should start a build thread... so far this is going on 2 years...
Made some Vollkornbrot to go with the smoked venison sausages!
WilliamView attachment 225761View attachment 225762
Where do you find this Art work hardware?

Put a few rounds through my Pedersoli Harper's Ferry pistol. Some .520 patched round ball and some birdshot and buckshot. Fun

A wonderful session at the local range tonight. Our Shoot Captain organised a night shoot, so we could observe the beauty of our belching dragons: six shooters, rifles and rifled muskets - percussion and flintlock.

Pete

01.JPG
02.JPG
03a.jpg

After finishing our shooting we heard a member shooting a ML at the 100 yard range and went over to introduce ourselves. Turns out the guy was shooting a from scratch build swivel breech in .45 cal that was absolutely gorgeous. Carved, inlayed perfectly everywhere. Wish I had taken some pictures

After messing with Traditions Pistol a couple hours this afternoon,I unpacked The Pedersoli Kentucky rifle kit,I am going to build for wife,I also totally disassembled my .40 cal. Cub I built around 1990,I told wife I was planning to refinsh stock and barrel,I figure that way she won't be to curious if she happens to catch me working on her rifle :dunno: ;)

Latest posts

Back