• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trigger inletting on the .54 Hawken this afternoon. Easy work for the mortis cutter. Please don't hate me. The final inleting is all hand work and time.

Attachments

• 20230527_170752.jpg
    20230527_170752.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230527_170811.jpg
    20230527_170811.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230527_170827.jpg
    20230527_170827.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230527_170817.jpg
    20230527_170817.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Actually it was yesterday; I intended to go to the monthly pistol shoot, we shoot ml pistols after the main events, and I was all primed, or rather ‘tubed’ to shoot the Austrian tube lock but fate intervened and my wife tested positive for Covid.
She’s a nurse at the local hospital and has been nursing Covid patients.
So stay at home as much as possible for 7 days and avoid large gatherings as I’m a person in close contact.

Trigger inletting on the .54 Hawken this afternoon. Easy work for the mortis cutter. Please don't hate me. The final inleting is all hand work and time.
I've never seen a dedicated mortising tool before.

Very cool.

All I've ever used were tools that were mounted on drill presses. And they never worked really well.

Shot the “Trail Walk” and “Primitive” courses at a smallish Rendezvous today. I had my best showing yet. 10/12 on the TW and 7 out of something on the Primitive. I hit a Squirrel head, egg, domino, 2” spinner, and a shot at a swinger beating a dropped ball among others. Pretty dang fun (when you actually hit stuff). Last couple of days I had my best showings yet on Archery and Hawk & Knife. I may not be winning but I am certainly getting better and at almost 63 years old that ain’t bad in my book.

I've never seen a dedicated mortising tool before.

Very cool.

All I've ever used were tools that were mounted on drill presses. And they never worked really well.
I have a dedicated woodshop.And have been building furniture and things most of my life. So gun building guns comes real easy.

Actually it was yesterday; I intended to go to the monthly pistol shoot, we shoot ml pistols after the main events, and I was all primed, or rather ‘tubed’ to shoot the Austrian tube lock but fate intervened and my wife tested positive for Covid.
She’s a nurse at the local hospital and has been nursing Covid patients.
So stay at home as much as possible for 7 days and avoid large gatherings as I’m a person in close contact.
That's no good hope all goes with you both. I'm finally getting my sense of taste back after many months of recovery.

Worked a bit on my persona some more. Late trapping era to early gold rush, its a California thing. Living a while in central CA mountains gave me a taste of the areas history. Big bore Hawken style rifle and a Pennsylvania style 36/40 cal for medium game. I have family in the Penn / Tenn area and want to have a rifle from that area. However i’m just not into long barrels so getting that figured out is an issue.

piecing together the rest of my equipment based on makers in the areas I would have traveled in and or was able to scavenge is a research opportunity I’m excited about. Looking at historical photos of the era has given me some great ideas, skins i would have hunted, styles makers would have made and so on.

been a fun few days :)

Took my wife out for a Lobster Roll her favorite ( Philly Steak for me). She wanted to make a couple of stops on the way out which was fine with me.
Pay back was that I got to stop at one of the "Good ole Boy's" outback gun shops on the way. I needed some #11 caps and some real Black powder for the recently acquired E. Phillips .38 Cal bench rest target ML. Gun area was closed (Sun. after 3:00) but I asked anyway. Low and behold not only did he have the #11 Caps but (get ready) ............ He had a 16oz. can of GOEX fffg powder. Pays to ask, he had them in the storage area not on the shelves. Wife Happy, Iam Super happy and all is well on the home front!

Back