• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A box arrived while I was out riding the Harley.
20230517_181230.jpg
20230517_181022.jpg
20230517_180909.jpg

Should be a fun project!

I shot for the first time my newly acquired Pedersoli side by side flintlock shotgun.
I can share the good, the bad, and the ugly in more detail if anyone is interested.
The short answer for now is that it basically worked and I hit 5 birds out of about 16 shots at the skeet range.
Who knows, I could be the only person in my state that shot skeet with a flintlock today. :)

I went to the range yesterday and took my .36 flintlock. Man, but it is a challenge handling those tiny little .35" balls. I cleaned it at home and left it in the cleaning cradle for today. So today I finished up with it and put it away. It use to be no problem loading and shooting that .36 and the .32 but I'm just not as steady as I once was and dropped balls constantly. I finished up today, wiped it down and I may not shoot it as often as I used to. I'll probably spend more time with my .45 from here on out because the .440' and .445" are so much easier to deal with.

I went a little crazy in the last month or so and I'm up to around a thousand made caps. They work. :thumb:
That they do and fit the stock nipples on my Pietta much better than the Cci #11 magnums.
I gotta pinch those or they fall right off.
I see some guys on videos saying pinching is bad due to chain fire risk..........then they will watch a cap fall off and continue firing the rest of the cylinder.
Not sure how that squares with pinching is a risk but no cap at all's ok........seems contradictory to me.

Picked up in the mail the four NMLRA Shooting Log Books I ordered for my four BP rifles so I won't forget what loads I work up. Took me 67 years to get smarter. :thumb:

The Doc is out now. 😎

I shot today. Sort of.

I was all excited to do some shooting today after a full days work on the cabin.
As it was starting to get dark, I threw on my shooting bag, grabbed my smoothbore and walked to the back of the property. It started off with no spark. Repeated attempts of wiping the frizzen and flint didn’t help. I thought I may have inadvertently oiled one of them. I didn’t have an alcohol swab so I just used my tee shirt. Weak spark. Quick knapping. Now pan flashes. Like I said it is getting dark so I am trying to hurry.

I dribbled some 4f into the touch hole and after two tries, I actually had ignition. Then, the strangest thing I’ve ever seen since I started this sport. I actually had a cleaning patch forced part way out of the touchhole. My pick wouldn’t budge it until I trimmed off the protruding edges. Then I was able to pick it back in and again I dribbled 4f in the touch hole, twice, until the patch popped out. I have zero explanation how the patch got in there. I use a jag and single patches when I clean and I am very careful cleaning. Apparently, I am getting senile or I am just an idiot.

Anyways, I proceeded to shoot, maybe three times and couldn’t hit anything. I even put a scrap piece of paneling for a bigger backstop behind the steel because I couldn’t figure out where or how I was missing. I think I was mostly just exasperated. Shooting low. Weird.

One more shot and I was going to give up. Center steel, dead on at 50 yards leaning on a tree. Obviously one shot on doesn’t prove anything but I chose to quit on a good note.

Attachments

• IMG_2434.jpeg
    IMG_2434.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2435.jpeg
    IMG_2435.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
Mailman brought me a package! Got my side plate and thumb plate back that were beautifully engraved by Mike Brooks, known here as @Comfortably_Numb. So glad I didn’t attempt to engrave them myself! Maybe next time.

Attachments

• IMG_1906.jpeg
    IMG_1906.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1907.jpeg
    IMG_1907.jpeg
    986.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1908.jpeg
    IMG_1908.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back