• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A thanks to all for the advice. After 2 weeks heat, sweet talk, cursing, PB blaster, finally heat & Kroil more heat & Kroil plus the jig with the dowels on a vice along with my homemade nipple wrenches from 1/4 inch drive sockets....finally got the nipples off that cap & ball...
Now for the hard part...powder & caps...

Didn't really "do" anything other than just opening the UPS packages with the Minie molds in them.
Now to get them in use.
Confession time. When setting up the 1842 part sets, couldn't find the side plate. Was quite upset with the spousal unit for cleaning my desk off while I was in Louisiana. Ordered another one from Lodgewood Mfg. Picked up the lock which had the 2 side plate screws hand tightened in and the side plate slid down the 2 screws into sight. It was flush against the lock all the time and it finally decided to move. AAARrrrrrggghhhhh!!!

I inlet the rear thimble on my 58 Kibler kit. I also finished drilling out one of the barrel lugs. I shot my Zouave on Sunday. Round balls seem to group better than the minnies I was trying.

Took the T/C White Mountain Carbine .50 caliber out today to shoot at a half gallon milk carton set out at 50 yards. One shot, one kill. Sorry, no video, but how many times do we need to see things get blown up anyway?

Also bought some Deft Fast Drying Polyurethane and put a couple of coats on my food-coloring dyed antler powder measures. Will post photos on the thread devoted to that subject in a day or two. Apparently "fast-drying" is a relative term.

The birth of a tomahawk !! That is a billet of 4140 tool steel that I heated and buried in vermiculite to cool overnight. That will anneal the billet to cool very slowly and make it as soft as it can get. In that soft state, I can then easily drill the pilot holes. The webbing between the holes will be split with a splitting chisel, then drifted open to create the eye for the future handle. All the forging to form the hammer poll tomahawk begins after that step.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Looking forward to this ...... Thanks! NE

DSC_4969.JPG
DSC_4971.JPG
Actually yesterday. Tested out the new hammer and bolt I installed on the 1851 Navy, cleaned it, and then doctored up the brand new looking black hammer to look a little more worn in. Most of the shots were slow fire at 50 feet, except for the last six. I was having a rapid fire gun battle with the bad guy in the lower left. No heart shots but I think he may be fatally wounded.

Drum installed. Breech plug final fitting and pinned in place.

Crazy glue to keep lock plate in place and outlined.

Lock plate inletted.

Gotta wrap my head around the breech plug/tang mounting. Plenty of room for a 1/4-20" screw. Could come in from underneath to hide the tapped hole.

Attachments

• IMG_2273.JPG
    IMG_2273.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2274.JPG
    IMG_2274.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2277.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    997.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2282.JPG
    IMG_2282.JPG
  • IMG_2284.JPG
    IMG_2284.JPG
  • IMG_2287.JPG
    IMG_2287.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2289.JPG
    IMG_2289.JPG
View attachment 196476View attachment 196478Actually yesterday. Tested out the new hammer and bolt I installed on the 1851 Navy, cleaned it, and then doctored up the brand new looking black hammer to look a little more worn in. Most of the shots were slow fire at 50 feet, except for the last six. I was having a rapid fire gun battle with the bad guy in the lower left. No heart shots but I think he may be fatally wounded.
Beautiful colors on that frame.

Real case hardening?

Beautiful colors on that frame.

Real case hardening?
No, that is a cheap over the counter Traditions Pietta from Sportsman Warehouse. Aside from the hammer bolt cam getting worn it has run very well. I replaced the front bead sight with a post I made from a brass screw and filed it to be point of aim (elevation) at 75'. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot. As has been talked about, you never know what will end up being a winner. Or not.

Last edited:
Back