• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the woods to help a friend take down his camp. When we were finished, I insisted that he shoot my 54 caliber flintlock. He’s never shot any kind of a Muzzleloader before. In fact, he’s pretty new to hunting completely. The look on his face was priceless when he made his first shot. He was so worried that it was going to kick him really bad. I told him it was nowhere near like the movies. I’m hoping I can bring a new one into the sport.

Took the T/C Hawken .45 out in 2° weather to shoot a couple of water-filled soda cans. While walking my targets out there, discovered a Hornady 250 grain .45 caliber JHP laying on top of the snow. It was in good enough shape to re-shoot I suppose. Apparently they are not designed to expand when shot into soft snow.

Anyways... hit the first can at 25 yards and the second at 50 yards with one shot each. Soon's I warm up a bit, I will perhaps venture out into the "frozen tundra" to retrieve the targets and MAYBE place a couple more.

Edit: Took two more soda cans out and assassinated them both with two shots at the same ranges. Apparently this particular gun shoots better in cold, snowy, windy weather. Brrrr.... I hope not!

Last edited:
ran a biathlon Saturday. hit 6 out of 9. not good enough to win the pistol class. Brian hit 7 and ran at least a min faster. My friend Isa got some photos.
NKG_4089.jpg

NKG_4418.jpg

NKG_4458.jpg

I guess this will count as M/L stuff; A guy contacted me on the ALR sight about how I reworked a TC stock to make it sleeker and more attractive, he had apparently googled TC refinishing and some of the pictures that I had posted on various sites come up.

He had never done gun work but had an extensive background in furniture making and wanted some advice about tools and what wood to take off and where.

I take pictures of everything I do in the shop for future reference so I started a tutorial for him. This could take a while but I enjoy sharing what little I know.

I do this for a lot for folk in both bow building and B/P, I always wish they lived close to me so I could invite them to my shop for some hands-on instruction.

So far today, I've been doing research trying to locate a couple of ML items I need, but to no avail.

Went to the mail box and received payment for a ML I just sold. So now I have to label the box. It will go to the post office in the morning. Also got some beeswax in the mail so now I need to wade through that great big looooong list of patch lube recipes again in my tread I posted a couple weeks ago.

And lastly, been working on figuring out what kind of wedge I will need to make so I can install a peep on my Great Plains Rifle.

Oh how I love da Muzzleloader thing!

Good luck...still trying to remove those nipples from that cap & ball revolver...nothing seems to work.
I finally got that screw out today using a trick the old GM mech next door taught me as a kid. Using a nail with the end sharpened into a chisel and held against the outside edge of the screw and tapping with a small hammer knocking it loose, worked on this for 2 weeks before I remembered this technique and it worked like a charm!

Since it's cold with sleet out today, I'm making up some .36 caliber paper cartridges for my 1861 Navy model pistol. Using cigarette paper method this time - no gluing ends of paper except for holding the round ball in place and just twisting the bottom ends instead of making separate end caps to glue on - I twisted the ends on some cartridges made from coffee filters the last time and they worked pretty good (I don't nitrate my coffee filters and so far they've all gone bang just fine). Might make some .44 paper cartridges later today or tomorrow.

I moved the sights on my 45 trying to sight it in. It was cold today but I got out long enough to shoot a group and check the POI. I need to scootch the sights over some more.

This one is 2 miles. You have 4 shooting stations .total of 9 shots. Each hit takes 5 minutes off of your running time. this course has a lot of hills. from station 4 to the finish line is a steep uphill. I ran it twice as my first round i only had 4 hits. bad case of the flinches on station 4. did much better shooting on my second run and was only a min slower run time. the rest of the events this winter are 1.5 miles.

I ordered three barrels. One to do a build with my 12 year old Son. It will be a basic Lancaster .45 caliber like a Chambers little fellar. I'll cut the barrel down to either 34" or 36". The other barrels are for future builds.

Latest posts

Back