• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took my T/C Hawken 50 cal Flintlock out to the range.
IMG_20230118_115956122.jpg
IMG_20230118_123519955.jpg

Sigh. What a day.
  • Made multiple trips to Lowes today. First, was to swap out the propane bottles. One for the wife's outside stove and the other for the 'cajun cooker' that I use to heat up the blocks of lead I got for casting. Still need to get a new Lee casting pot ordered from Titan Reloading so as to not cross contaminate the pure lead.
  • Spent way too much $$$$ on three 2x4 8' and 36 fence slats. Seems that the city's contractor yahoo's swung the track hoe bucket a bit wide while fixing the alley and broke about a third of the fence down. Well, they propped it up so that it wasn't noticeable from the house and skatted the heck out of there. Didn't get all the paint off of the wood where they hit it though. Swearing up & down like Beavis & Butthead that it was 'other kids did it and not them'. And naturally the city is covering for their contractor. And that pushes getting the 1842 stock from Dunlap Wood back a month. :mad:
  • Got some more cleaning supplies while at Lowes plus the 90° connectors for the target stands for the air rifle N-SSA sized/shaped targets. Plus, they didn't have the six 1.5" PVC end caps and needed a dozen 1.5" 90° connecters but only had ten. Typical. Just enough to piss you off and not finish the job. Guess I get to stop in at Home Depot tomorrow to finish getting the rest of the needed PVC parts.
  • FINALLY found that unicorn part for an 1842 musket(aka Front barrel band) at Regimental Quartermaster. Got that ordered tonight. Not going to say what I had to pay for it but it was just short of having to squeal like a pig.
  • The only thing left is to get a decision from the Small Arms Committee (SAC) on whether a rear sight is needed on that barrel since there appears to be a cut on it where one once was. Sent pix to the husband of the head of the 14th Mississippi Infantry(my N-SSA team) who is on the SAC to see what he has to say about it. Heck, it seems it just doesn't end.
    • 1842-Rear-Sight.png
  • The only reproduction metal parts are going to be the barrel band springs. Just don't trust springs that could be 200+ years old to hold. Got those three springs ordered tonight through Taylor Firearms since they have parts for Armi Sports.

Warmed up my ol' Brown Bess.
She's old and a little ugly but light on the trigger. For a smooth bore bowling ball launcher she's pretty accurate if you do your part.
Just the thing to punch holes in my sun rotted archery targets after they are replaced with new targets on the archery range.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-01-16-17-36-04-083.jpg
    IMG_2023-01-16-17-36-04-083.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
Spent the day yesterday testing different loads, patch lubes, etc out of my new .32 Crocket Squirrel Rifle. Found out the POI is high so today is rear sight filing day. :)

Requested pictures after using Butches' Bore Shine.

When I drilled for the touch hole, I had a senior moment and drilled my pilot hole all the way through the barrel, that is what the plug opposite the touch hole is, a 10/32 screw locked in with red Loctite, the late Zonie did the math and said my plug was ten times stronger than any charge I would ever shoot in the gun.

Haines butches 1.jpg

Side view;

haines butch.jpg

Got re-acquainted with my T/C Cherokee .32. Spent ten minutes trying to get a .36 caliber PRB to start as I thought that I'd picked up my Seneca .36 from the rack. I think those guns switch places on the wall when we are asleep. Massacred a few aluminum cans, then set my possible's bag up so I have a belt knife on the front carry strap. Fastened it with red "goat skin" laces. Dunno if it is real goat skin or not. I have learned painfully not to trust Amazon's descriptions.

Did find some kangaroo skin strips at Tandy Leather. Might use the goatskin for shoe laces and get some kangaroo hide in red, blue and purple. Might look like a pimp, but I been called worse.

With my son's help (he holds the light and whatever my shakey hands can't do) I took apart the locked up Uberti 1861 Navy .36 cal. Once apart I couldn't see any cap material causing the jam, but the hand sure looked chewed up. After several iterations of sanding the sides of the hand and re-assembling, finally got it to function correctly. I thought Uberti's were supposedly better made.

Went to the home of Ryan Johnson this afternoon. He is interested in learning the ins & outs of black powder shooting sports, so, out comes a percussion and flintlock rifles for him to learn how to load & shoot. Not only that, I showed him how to clean 3 different types of BP guns. I believe Ryan will be owning a BP gun soon.

324162231_1568797583618840_1318857189245241382_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back