• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the Hawken out for a hunt.
5DB8F4CF-4155-40CF-B2AC-826A091E8ACC.jpeg

Shot again yesterday. About 6 shots. It's been really reliable with the cold dry weather. just realod when I am done and swab with bore butter. A week of rain coming so things might have to change in the cleaning department. If I actually get moved into the new place I will maybe have time for a real cleaning.

Low effort, but feel like at least I accomplished something. Hung some gear on the wall. Liked it, so I will continue to hang gear until I run out of gear or wall, whichever occurs first.
Now that is what I want MY wall to look like before I croak! I've got a dozen guns more or less, and it would be SO nice to have a full possibles bag and horn for each one of them. Most likely, it'll just be a bag for each caliber... if even that.

Shot again yesterday. About 6 shots. It's been really reliable with the cold dry weather. just realod when I am done and swab with bore butter. A week of rain coming so things might have to change in the cleaning department. If I actually get moved into the new place I will maybe have time for a real cleaning.
I do a "real" cleaning after every time I shoot. Seen too many rusty guns and heard too many horror stories. Looks like there might be some rain coming here today as well. Hopefully it will melt some of the snow and ice.

the weather cooperated and warmed up so it was time to cast 250 Colt Cartridge Works bullets (thanks ERAS GONE) to feed my pair of '51 Navy revolvers to make more paper cartridges.
Finally figured out what I had done wrong with some of the cartridges already made.
Christmas day the gun had to be taken apart three times twice for cartridges that would not seat ad one time for a bad cap.
25 cases were gauged eight were broken down, powder and bullet salvaged and only the little paper tube discarded.
All in all a very good day.
respectfully submitted
Bunk

Took the .50 cal. Hawken out to range to see if my adjustments to the hammer did any good. Yep, 19 out of 19 caps fired off. Trying different loads from 53 to 67 grains. All shoot as good as I can at 50 yards...about a 3' group. Next project is to get this gun to shoot cleaner. Three shots is all I can take without swabbing. And even then, the jag got stuck once and was a big deal for a bit. I'm shooting Schuetzen FFFg with a durofelt wad over powder with a .490 ball and a lubed .015 patch under it. The wads have been treated with a 1:1 beeswax/olive oil solution. I think maybe they are over lubed and fouling up the barrel....? IDK. I'll try different methods of loading next time out.

Took the .50 cal. Hawken out to range to see if my adjustments to the hammer did any good. Yep, 19 out of 19 caps fired off. Trying different loads from 53 to 67 grains. All shoot as good as I can at 50 yards...about a 3' group. Next project is to get this gun to shoot cleaner. Three shots is all I can take without swabbing. And even then, the jag got stuck once and was a big deal for a bit. I'm shooting Schuetzen FFFg with a durofelt wad over powder with a .490 ball and a lubed .015 patch under it. The wads have been treated with a 1:1 beeswax/olive oil solution. I think maybe they are over lubed and fouling up the barrel....? IDK. I'll try different methods of loading next time out.
try a damp cotton mop for the first couple of swabs to soften things up then patches to clean and dry.
Bunk

started the browning process on my fowler barrel, two swabs so far.
needed a snoot full of smoke so shot my TC Hawken flint lock with the .50 GM barrel. problem is the dang kung fu flu killed my smeller and i can't even smell burnt BP!
.495 hornady swaged ball with .007 patch lubed with bear/bees wax.
upper shots were 70g fff
lower shots were 60g fff.
all shots at 60 yards. i do think these loads have promise.
8x12 plate. dead center POA
tried to shoot the Dec postal match. couldn't hit anything at 25 yards.
20221230_160407.jpg

Last edited:
UPS brought me a new Pietta 1860 Army .44 revolver I ordered from Muzzle Loaders .com (site sponsor). Good price and fast delivery! Earlier today I changed out the bolt/trigger spring on a 1971 Colt 1851 Navy .36 revolver - cylinder was over-clocking when I cocked it due to a weak spring (it's all good now).

started the browning process on my fowler barrel, two swabs so far.
needed a snoot full of smoke so shot my TC Hawken flint lock with the .50 GM barrel. problem is the dang kung fu flu killed my smeller and i can't even smell burnt BP!
.495 hornady swaged ball with .007 patch lubed with bear/bees wax.
upper shots were 70g fff
lower shots were 60g fff.
all shots at 60 yards. i do think these loads have promise.
8x12 plate. dead center POA
tried to shoot the Dec postal match. couldn't hit anything at 25 yards.View attachment 186380
I feel ya! My sniffer is a complete dud as well, but it was mostly gone before the China virus got me to finish it off.

Know I'm going to get flack for this post from all the guys that are traditionalist wood workers , but here goes. My wood working mindset , is accuracy , speed and ease of doing the various tasks on m/l rifle building. To scratch build , I use Dremel type tools , with wood burs , down to dentist bits , 26000 rpm die grinder w/ file bits on it , for shaping stocks from rough , and installing butt plates. I now am excited to have been gifted a new minni battery chainsaw. Oh...for the glory of it!!!!!! Can't wait to get crankin' using the minni chain saw to help shape a stock. Way I see it ,what difference does it matter how I take wood off a blank , as long as it looks perfect ,when done...............oldwood
Sounds like you went to the Sweet William school of stock shaping.

Back