• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trigger plate bent to shape, hardened and inletted. Antique trigger guard bent to shape and inletted.

The trigger I made forced me to use a traditional tang mounting. Tang hole drilled to the centerline of the stock. Butter soft TOTW tang screw hardened. Still need to shorten the screw.

Beginning to look like something.

Attachments

• IMG_1548.JPG
    IMG_1548.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1549.JPG
    IMG_1549.JPG
    885.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1550.JPG
    IMG_1550.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1551.JPG
    IMG_1551.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1553.JPG
    IMG_1553.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1546.JPG
    IMG_1546.JPG
    891.9 KB · Views: 0
Well it was yesterday and my wife and I went to Colonial Williamsburg for the Grand Illumination and on Sunday I did their musket shooting where you shoot a short land pattern and a fowler.

I have built my Kibler Colonial but, have not shot a flintlock yet so it was a good way to shoot with some teaching.
Lots of fun and now am more confident taking mine out for its first shots.

Picked this up today hawes firearms co Los Angeles California. Made in Italy by RAG ?? 44 army . Don't think it's ever been fired. A little rusty when action testing I am going to disassemble and clean out the dust and old oil crud rust etc . Gun was made in 1970. Barrel and cylinder look excellent internally. The cylinder engraving is amazing really deep, unlike the pietta or uberti.

Attachments

• 20221206_131346.jpg
    20221206_131346.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221206_131148.jpg
    20221206_131148.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221206_131240.jpg
    20221206_131240.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
With a break in the weather I got out my convertible 1851 London Navy and shot it.Twenty times this morning with the unmentionable brass things but using the Eras Gone Colt Cartridge Works bullet.
Then after a quick change out the percussion cylinder twenty five times just using ball..
My range is my back yard right at my shop.
All went well in both setups every thing is partly clean but I may shoot tomorrow weather permitting.
BTW the cut made in th e recoil shield for the Kirst conversion is really hardly noticeable and makes capping easy.
Held center
Hit it a couple of times!
Bunk.

Did some final tweaking to the lock mortise. Inletted the trigger. These right/left skew chisels are great. Czech Republic. Amazon. Not expensive.

Cut one dovetail for a tenon. Silver soldered two tenons.

Barrel pinned into place.

Attachments

• IMG_1556.JPG
    IMG_1556.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1560 (1).JPG
    IMG_1560 (1).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1564.JPG
    IMG_1564.JPG
    729.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1563 (1).JPG
    IMG_1563 (1).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Got the grease out of the barrel where I had to use a grease gun to force the bullet out.
Wasn't as hard as I thought. Used some brake cleaner in the nipple to flush out the remaining grease.

ETA: changed 'break' to 'brake' to be correct. Should have already been at bed at that hour

Last edited:
Been taking about six shots a day with the trapper in between work at my new place. I have a 40 yard downhill shot thats safe . target at the moment is a 5" x 6" steel plate.

I got in a Joe Woods coning tool in .54, I am going to give it a try on my pre-carve from hell rifle that shoots poorly, is very hard to start a ball in and cuts patches at the muzzle to see if it makes any difference.

I headed out to pick up the right grits of wet or dry sandpaper and was in for a surprise; Lowe's grits start at 800 and go up, the same for Home Depot, Auto zone didn't have it, Advanced Auto parts only had a couple of grits, O Riley's had the right grits but it was the cheap Chinese stuff that Joe warned about in his instructions.

Amazon to the rescue, they had a pack of 3M with all the right grits, they also had the low traffic carpet tape Joe recommended, delivery is a week away.

joe woods coning tool.JPG

Back